IBU Calculation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBU Calculation.

Could you tell me if the IBU Calculations for a 10bbl brew house is the same than the calculations used for home brewing? Tinseth formulas?

Could you share how do you calculate your IBUs for 10bbl brew house?

Appreciated

I use the Tinseth formula as a general guide, but every brewhouse is different and at the end of the day you have to taste and adjust. A big change for me from homebrewing was increased alpha acid extraction from late additions. In my homebrew setup I'd chill in the kettle with an immersion chiller and get from boiling to 20C in 10-12 minutes. In my 10bbl system there's whirlpooling and a 40-minute knockout where the hops are sitting in near-boiling wort for more than an hour. Those alpha acids are definitely isomerizing in that time. All my homebrew recipes were too bitter when translated directly to the 10bbl brewhouse, so I adjusted.

Comment

Designing Great Beers

If you have the book Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels, check pages 79 to 82 and you will find a great description on Calculating Bitterness Units, as well other relevant information about your request.

Comment

Originally posted by DageraadBen View Post
        I use the Tinseth formula as a general guide, but every brewhouse is different and at the end of the day you have to taste and adjust. A big change for me from homebrewing was increased alpha acid extraction from late additions. In my homebrew setup I'd chill in the kettle with an immersion chiller and get from boiling to 20C in 10-12 minutes. In my 10bbl system there's whirlpooling and a 40-minute knockout where the hops are sitting in near-boiling wort for more than an hour. Those alpha acids are definitely isomerizing in that time. All my homebrew recipes were too bitter when translated directly to the 10bbl brewhouse, so I adjusted.
        This. I had to move a large part of bittering additions to late kettle/whirlpool additions. Beersmith does have a whirlpool addition calc that was pretty helpful and seems pretty close to what my taste tells me.
        Dave Cowie
        Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
        Nevada City, CA

Comment

I use the Rager formula as a starting point for all my commercial 20hL batches. I will adjust the utilisation from 30min on to 20%. For my whirlpool additions I will adjust the utilisation between 15% and 20%. For any new recipes I will keep my whirlpool addition at 20%, taste the final beer and make a decision based on taste. My customers, in general, don't like overly bitter beer. I tend to play it save and work my way up with the bitterness.

For pilot batches I tend to stay with the Rager formula, unchanged, since it calculates your flameout/whirlpool addition as 5%. I found on a taste basis that seem to be right.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X