Coolong Wort with Glycol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolong Wort with Glycol

I currently chill wort post boil with a cold liquor tank. We recirc the hot water into the HLT and reuse the water. We are expanding to a double batch process and the HLT will always be full so I am interested in cooling the wort with glycol in the heat exchanger.

My rudimentary 10bbl size math problem says I need 300K btu capacity to do that but I have a feeling my math may be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Batch size: 10bbls
    Knockout temp: 200F
    Desired temp: 70F
    Time requirement: 45 Minutes
    Mike Pensinger
    General Manager/Brewmaster
    Parkway Brewing Company
    Salem, VA

It will be closer to 480,000 BTU/HR.

331 Gallons
    130 F Temperature Drop
    Flow rate:
    5.52 GPM (60 minute transfer) 358,800 BTU/HR
    7.36 GPM (45 Minute transfer) 478,100 BTU/HR

Wouldn't your use of heated water from the HLT also double? I'd definitely try to service this duty with the CLT to spread out this cooling demand- but keep in mind depending on the size of your CLT, you could be needing to bring the CLT temperature down in a very period of time too.

What is the size of the CLT and HLT?

I've also seen customers use a 2 stage HX, with CLT on the first stage and then using glycol directly on the second stage. This would help minimize the load spike on the chiller system.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim VanderGiessen Jr
    Pro Chiller Systems
    jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

How big is your HLT? I have a 10bbl brewhouse, 20bbl HLT and double batch without the use of glycol. 2 Batches, 9 hours, including setup, cleanup, and pitching yeast. I dont fill up my HLT to more than I need for the first lauter and second mash in, that way when I am knocking out the first batch, I can fill up the HLT. I also run the burner on it at about 50% while filling, it is usually up to 180F by the time I am done cleaning out the kettle and ready to start the second lauter. And I do not have a CLT, wort temps are 75F out of the HX.

Comment

13 bbl HLT but passive. No active heat in it right now. We are going to feed it with a tankless water heater and recirculate through he heater to maintain temp. This will make it full all the time except maybe the second knockout when i can reclaim the water.

Just trying to minimize the amount of water I send down the drain. Also my CLT is only 300 gallons too so the second batch will be a water hog.
        Mike Pensinger
        General Manager/Brewmaster
        Parkway Brewing Company
        Salem, VA

Comment

Working...
        X