Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering Moving from Fining to Filtering???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Moving from Fining to Filtering???

We are considering switching over from fining to filtering. The main reason is hopefully get a bit more beer out of each batch. In using Biofine, the sediment pile is usually right about the level of the racking arm, so we have to bump a good 20 gallons or so of beer. It is my understanding that with filtering, I will able to get better yields.

For someone who has never filtered before, and advice on filter types or what companies to start looking into?

There are any number of suggestions that the folks here can make but to help us help you, a few bits of information will be helpful. What size batches do you normally run? What is your budget like (not exact numbers)? What kind of beers to you brew and would like to filter? How often will you be filtering? Are you trying to achieve anything else besides yield improvement with your filtration program? While not an exhaustive list of questions this will help focus our collective experience on what your needs are. Cheers and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy.Cockerell View Post
      There are any number of suggestions that the folks here can make but to help us help you, a few bits of information will be helpful. What size batches do you normally run? What is your budget like (not exact numbers)? What kind of beers to you brew and would like to filter? How often will you be filtering? Are you trying to achieve anything else besides yield improvement with your filtration program? While not an exhaustive list of questions this will help focus our collective experience on what your needs are. Cheers and good luck.
      We have a 10 BBL brewhouse, have 10, 20, and 30 bbl fvs. Budget is pretty open as long as it improves our process and could eventually pay for itself with better yields. We brew a wide variety of beers, amber, pale, ipa, stout, etc. We'd be filtering 2-3 times a week, preferably in-line from fv to brite. I am happy with the clarity of my beer with fining, the main reasons for filtering would be to increase yields and maybe take a day off of ferment times since I crash for a day, fine on day 2, then let it sit for 2 days before I transfer to the brite.

Comment

Fining is still advised before a filter run as to make the run on tighter pads a smoother one. However what's really nice about filtering is that every bit of what ends up in your Brite is usable beer, no guessing how much sediment you'll have at the bottom. Since you're running 2-3 batches a week into brites, I think filtering would Improve your turn around times for those brites and you could increase output by a good margin. Keep in mind that a set up/filter/cip can take most of a day of labor depending on how well the filter run goes, or it can take only a few hours. So if you have the staff to cover the extra effort, it can speed up your production significantly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as methodology, have you researched any yet that have interested you? We use a DE style filter but as a filter medium we use a fine grade of perlite as it isn't hazardous to work with and disposal is not complicated like it is for keislguhr. As far as my recommendation I would have to say DE style filtration as the other technologies involve either centrifugation (not necessary yet) or disposable or finite use cartridges or pads. A properly sized lenticular or plate and frame could potentially get you more beer but doesn't offer much in the way of expansion. With a DE style filter you could drop most of the yeast out of the cone and filter from the bottom and pick up as much beer as possible while at the same time being a technology that could grow with your brewery. Perlite is cheap and that style filter will be your best bet for several years to come. Let us know what you think.

Comment

As far as methodology, have you researched any yet that have interested you? We use a DE style filter but as a filter medium we use a fine grade of perlite as it isn't hazardous to work with and disposal is not complicated like it is for keislguhr. As far as my recommendation I would have to say DE style filtration as the other technologies involve either centrifugation (not necessary yet) or disposable or finite use cartridges or pads. A properly sized lenticular or plate and frame could potentially get you more beer but doesn't offer much in the way of expansion. With a DE style filter you could drop most of the yeast out of the cone and filter from the bottom and pick up as much beer as possible while at the same time being a technology that could grow with your brewery. Perlite is cheap and that style filter will be your best bet for several years to come. Let us know what you think.
            I have used DE before but am unfamiliar with Perlite. Could someone elaborate on it, including sources for material?

Comment

Off-topic but I had to.

...We use a DE style filter but as a filter medium we use a fine grade of perlite as it isn't hazardous to work with and disposal is not complicated like it is for keislguhr. ...
              I dont post much anymore, but then I see things like that.
              This is a common misconception and potentially a heath risk! Perlite should be handled with the same PPE as DE, Gloves, Goggles and a respirator. It is not officialy listed as a carcinogen for silicosis but any dust/powder is a breathing hazard. Along the same lines is "we use 5star PBW because its safer than caustic" Again, even if you believe this, you should use the exact same PPE and SOP's for it. Your not a home-brewer anymore, its time to put on your big boy pants.
              You may return to your regularly scheduled conversation...
              Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
              tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
              "Your results may vary"

Comment

Perlite sources and safety

Big shout out to Ted for being picky with the way I talked about the safety of Perlite. While perlite is significantly safer to work with than Diatomaceous Earth, the caveat is that you are still using appropriate PPE which is true of any activity in the brewery. At our brewery, any chemical or powder that we use is assumed to be hazardous and adequate steps are taken to mitigate any adverse health affects. Now as for sources of perlite, major brewing suppliers like Cargill and country malt group sell perlite for beer filtration. We specifically use SilKleer which is produced by a company called Silbrico, we tend to use the 27m grade. Feel free to pm me with any other questions.

Comment

Let's not side-track into chemical and filter aid safety issues as that is not what the original poster asked about. Those issues are very important and better settled by personal research, the BA and any reputable chemical supplier can give you pretty solid info. As far as filtration goes, at your size you are looking at a DE/perlite filter(like a Della w stainless screens and a dosing unit), Sheet filter or lenticular. I have experience with all three but admittedly very little with Lenticular. I would reccomend DE/Perlite filter because I have found that I get better results as far as yield and ease of adjustment. With DE/Perlite filter you can adjust somewhat on the fly by increasing your dosing rate and even switching grades of filtrate midstream. Sheet filters notoriously strip hop oils compared to DE unless you go to high end Beco Pads (Sierra Nevada uses them) leak beer, and taste like paper without proper flushing. PITA in my opinion to set up and clean a sheet set up as well. Lenticulars use a shit ton of water to be non technical. Not a fan at all, although I could see them in a polish situation. Now all that being said you will get many opinions from other people. Filtration is as close to a "Dark Art" in brewing as you will find. So many variables to consider. I like a DE/Perlite filter because I feel they are a bit more flexible and you can "massage" them once you get running where in my opinion the other alternatives are pretty set once you start. On the downside the DE/Perlite have a steeper learning curve and more moving parts to maintain where the other two are much more straightforward. I would welcome dissenting views as I realize I have much to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by derek.duf View Post
                    We are considering switching over from fining to filtering. The main reason is hopefully get a bit more beer out of each batch. In using Biofine, the sediment pile is usually right about the level of the racking arm, so we have to bump a good 20 gallons or so of beer. It is my understanding that with filtering, I will able to get better yields.

For someone who has never filtered before, and advice on filter types or what companies to start looking into?
                    Hi Derek,
                    I, too, run a ten bbl system and have been very happy with the results I get from my 40x40 plate and frame filter. It uses DE impregnated cellulose pads. The filter was purchased new from GW Kent and the pads come from Scott Labs. Depending on sediment load of the beer, I can filter several batches through one set of pads. I will echo previous comments regarding the "dark arts" of filtering. If you've never done it, it would be very useful to shadow someone who is experienced with filtering to learn the process, theory, and appropriate incantations.
                    Luck to ya'

Prost!
                    Dave
                    Glacier Brewing Company
                    406-883-2595
                    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
                    X