Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg cleaning

Hi there,

I did see somewhere on this forum a thread on keg cleaning with acid but cant seem to find it. We have a PSS kegwasher with only the one reservoir tank. Am I right by thinking that you can either clean your kegs with a Nitric/Phosphoric blend or with caustic?

Having about 600+ kegs I don't think we have the time to run a caustic cycle followed be an acid cycle. Would it be OK to do a caustic cycle on all our kegs for 3 months, and then do an acid wash on all the kegs for 3 months?

Cheers and thanks for any help

Keg Cleaning with Birko Acid / X-Puma

Check out our articles, webinars and case studies to stay on top of the latest news and updates around food safety.

I'm not an expert but we've been following this method from Birko on a single reservoir keg washer. We do a 160* water rinse as the last cycle.
    Scott Swygert
    Founder - Honky Tonk Brewing Co.

Comment

Yes. We've probably got the same system as you, Premier 2 station semi, and switched to an acid detergent called Defy produced by a local chemical company. Removes beer stone, isn't broken down by co2, get more reuses out of it in the reservoir, works like a treat.
      Russell Everett
      Co-Founder / Head Brewer
      Bainbridge Island Brewing
      Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Five Star Acid#6 is an option as well, it's a detersive acid designed for cleaning kegs and brite tanks ie; works well in co2 environment. Until you get a good detergent acid cleaner I would just use the acid rather than the caustic. You're really dealing mostly with beer stone in the keg, same as a BBT.

Comment

X-Puma?

Thank you all for your input. Checked out the Birko websight and it would seem that they recommend using their Ultra Niter with some X-puma as a detergent. We don't get the Birko product range in Australia and I'm trying to find out what X-Puma is. Could anyone provide me with the MSDS for X-Puma? I do have a product which states that it is a "liquid acid detergent for passivation, destoning and acid cleaning" on the MSDS containing a blend of Nitric and Phosphoric acid. Nothing said about containing any detergents.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X