More SRM vs. Lovibond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More SRM vs. Lovibond

Ever since I had a conversation with someone at Briess almost a decade ago, I've assumed that what maltsters report as degrees Lovibond is actually the SRM value of a congress mash. However, this is contradicted by two commonly-used equations:

-From the ASBC Methods of Analysis, SRM = EBC / 1.98
    -From typical specifications of several European maltsters, Lovibond = 0.375 x EBC + 0.56 (different sources report slightly different equations, but they're all in the same ballpark)

If a malt's Lovibond value equals the SRM value of its congress mash, the two equations can't both be true. According to the Wikipedia article on Standard Reference Method, SRM = 1.3546 x Lovibond - 0.76. I'm wary of using Wikipedia as a source, but plugging this equation into the ASBC equation results in an equation that's very close to the one(s) used by European maltsters.

Here's the big question: do maltsters who use the ASBC test methods use an equation to convert SRM to Lovibond, or do they simply report SRM as Lovibond? I know that Rahr simply reports SRM, even though the specs say 'Lovibond'. Is that standard practice?

For maintaining color consistency, this doesn't really matter. However, it's useful for predicting mash pH.

Thanks!

Joe

I've went round and round with this question myself.. here's a website I use to convert if it helps...

Comment

Working...
    X