Pressure build up advice for CIP 5BBL fermenters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure build up advice for CIP 5BBL fermenters

Trying to CIP our new fermenters with the mobile keg washer's 3/4 hp pump and 25 gallon reservoir. Tested today and running into pressure issues with the discharge from the bottom port not keeping up with the spray ball IN. I'm using a small march pump to go from the bottom port back into the reservoir (how else do I return to reservoir?). I'm venting pressure off the sample valve, but this cant be right. Concerned I was going to damage the pump or fermenters so I shut it down. Any thoughts or resources I should look at? Thanks.

If you are not going to loop from the bottom of the tank through the pump and then to the spray ball, you will need a scavenge pump that can keep up with the CIP pump. The pressure you are venting is from the influx of liquid and also the increase in temperature, wont hurt anything if your vacuum relief is working. A small march pump does not have the flow rate to keep up. A better method is to use a separate pump, move all of the cleaner to the tank, then create a loop from the bottom, through the pump and to the CIP ball.

Comment

Right, the March pump cant keep up at all. These are customs tanks and pressure relief is tri-clamped into the top 6" manway - kind of like a large corny keg. When CIPing that top is swapped out for the spray ball fitting mounted on the same size manway... so there goes my pressure relief. But, your suggestions eliminates the need for the scavenger pump and should solve the pressure issue, right?
      Great idea on transferring the hot caustic from the keg washer into the fermenter, then rearranging the fittings so the caustic to runs in a loop. Got to change pump fittings from unions to Triclamp to match.

Comment

Working...
      X