Yeast Propagation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Propagation

I am looking to start propagating yeast from a slant up to 7 bbl batches. I am looking to purchase a 1 bbl propagation tank for the transition from the lab to the brewery. Here is my question. Do I just brew a 7 bbl batch and pump 1 bbl in the propagator and 6 bbl in FV and then just cap the vessel for 48 hours while the yeast grows to the appropriate counts before I transfer? I am thinking this would be ok as long as my wort is stabile. I would love to hear if there is a much better (and probably very obvious) way to do this.

Cheers,

Eric

Leaving wort unpitched is a risky move no matter how careful you are. If you are determined to leave the wort unpitched, what laboratory capabilities do you have? How are you determining that your wort is stable? Do you plate on selective media, if so which? What is your propagation regime to take it from a slant to 1bbl pitchable? Do you have an autoclave? When we are getting a batch ready we either work a beer in the schedule that is a good starter wort and steal a little for the propagator or we make a starter wort with LME.

Comment

Working...
    X