Dura Slope Trench Drains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dura Slope Trench Drains

We just cut our floors and will be installing dura slope drains. Not sure whether PVC or Cast Iron should be run from the drain to the sewer line. It will be covered in concrete. Curious to what others have done. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin

I have always had PVC without any issues. Make it as big a diameter as you can no less than 6" is better it will help with plugged lines plus be sure there is good access in case you need to auger the drain esp. if it connects into a greasy kitchen drain. DAMN KITCHEN people lol.
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Comment

If you are going to be installing a boiler, contact your mechanical installer. PVC will melt from boiler blowdowns. I had to install a blow down cooling tank on my boiler.

Comment

Hope ya dont mind if I hijack this but we are putting expansion plans together and I want more/better trench drains. Our current ones are junk liquids get under them and with time there are some nasty ass smells coming from them. How does this stuff seal up so we dont have the same issues?
        Mike Eme
        Brewmaster

Comment

The dura-slope drains our landlord installed as part of our agreed buildout suck. Completely not up to the job, and apparently installed by monkeys.

They make several different models of drains, so make sure to get the one that can handle acids, bases, and boiling liquids the best. Otherwise welcome to cracksville. We've got stress cracks all down the entire length from what I suspect is a combination of heat stress and concrete compression. Turns out the PVC version is only rated for 140 degrees for a lot of things.

EDIT: oh, and though it's tempting, don't get the stainless grates. The holes in them are designed for 'safety' and are too small and too far apart to adequately deal with spent grain and hops. Also the trash catch bin in the central drain will rust to hell and back very quickly. Hasn't quite given up the ghost...yet.
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island Brewing
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

We ended up ordering ACO drains in polymer concrete. They seem to be more durable and better suited for a brewery (can handle much higher temps and weight loads and have good chemical resistance). Still unsure whether or not to run cast iron or pvc to the sewer line.

Comment

Working...
            X