Pump not big enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump not big enough?

So i just started working on 6bbl batches in our system and im not sure our pump is up to snuff. When im recircing for wp/cooling i seem to not be getting a very good flow from the onset. i thought i was having a plugging issue with my HX but that doesnt seem to be the case. When i hook up my pump to the fermenter to transfer it flow really well into the fermenter. Im wondering if the pump is just not able to push against the head pressure created by the volume. It is flowing but its not enough to mix the wort very well when im cooling as im getting cool on the bottom of the boil kettle and really hot in the middle.

Its a 3/4 hp from CPE i figured it should be big enough to move this volume but it doesnt seem to be the case or am i having another issue somewhere else?
    Bog Water Brewing Co. est 2012 revived 2013

There can be a substantial amount of pressure drop across the HX.

Comment

You may also be having problems if the HX is getting clogged with bits of trub or hops, that can substantially lower your flowrate.
      Manuel

Comment

Programming to get more pressure

Hi,

I looked up your account and it looks like you purchased a 1 HP pump which should be big enough for your application. Wisely you purchased a whole assembly with a VFD so it is an easy programming change to give you some more pressure to push the wort through the heat exchanger faster or to get you a stronger WP.

Give me a call and I will talk you through it.

Don
        Your CPE Systems Team!
        CPE Systems Inc.
        800-668-2268
        CPEsystems.com
        Thinkpumps.com
        sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by BogWater View Post
          So i just started working on 6bbl batches in our system and im not sure our pump is up to snuff. When im recircing for wp/cooling i seem to not be getting a very good flow from the onset. i thought i was having a plugging issue with my HX but that doesnt seem to be the case. When i hook up my pump to the fermenter to transfer it flow really well into the fermenter. Im wondering if the pump is just not able to push against the head pressure created by the volume. It is flowing but its not enough to mix the wort very well when im cooling as im getting cool on the bottom of the boil kettle and really hot in the middle.
          Its a 3/4 hp from CPE i figured it should be big enough to move this volume but it doesnt seem to be the case or am i having another issue somewhere else?
          Yep, your clogging your HEX.

So...Your chilling the wort through the HEX back into the kettle, then transferring to your fermenter after it settles? Not sure why your doing it this way. First you need to WP from your kettle into your pump and back into your kettle's WP inlet, this creates your trub pile (hot break). This also clears the trub from the bottom sides of your kettle. Then, after letting it settle for a bit, you send the hot wort through the HEX to chill on its way to the fermenter, it will stay relatively trub free.

Comment

So I just need to bypass the hx while I do my WP and I should be good then. Thatd be nice to only have to buy a couple more fittings instead of a different pump or hx.

I don't know why i do it this way other then I'm using the equipment I'm given and that's the most feasible way I had seen to make it do what I wanted.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
            Bog Water Brewing Co. est 2012 revived 2013

Comment

Working...
            X