Licensing Issues - DUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing Issues - DUI

We (my three partners and I) are getting very close to signing a lease and beginning the process of getting our licensing. One thing that didn't cross our minds until recently was the possibility that one partner's DUI from ~7 years ago could cause problems (other than that we're pretty much "squeaky clean"). He's learned from his mistake, so it's not an issue in our end, but we're worried that regulators would see this as a red flag. Would it be advisable to remove him from our LLC? Are there any other places this may cause problems? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I beleive states only go back 5 years on back checks for traffic violations. That may be a state to state issue.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Joel -- thanks for the feedback regarding state regulations. However, I am wondering if anyone has any input regarding federal licensing. Although a first offense DUI is considered a misdemeanor in most cases, my partner was shocked to learn that he was forbidden to enter Canada for at least 7 years due to this offense (or should I say offence). Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of how a past DUI could affect TTB licensing? I'd hate to submit, play the waiting game, and then find out months later that we are rejected due to this past discretion. Thanks in advance.

Comment

You can call the TTB directly and just ask them. They are very approachable.
        But also check with your state's alcohol contro. They too can kill your application.

Prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Be upfront with them and it's not a problem. My business partner had a DUI and it created some extra paperwork on both his state and federal personal questioners but did not prevent or even slow down our license process.

Comment

Working...
          X