lactose in stout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lactose in stout

Im getting ready to convert my homebrew recipe into a 7bbl batch next month and just wanted to get some feed back. This recipe has lactose in it. Im wondering has anyone had any issues with lactose in beer giving alergic reactions for people that are intolerent to lactose? Would hate to have something happen to someone that was not informed that there was lactose in the beer, or is it such a small amount that it dosent effect them????

thanks
    Kyle

We've been using it in our stout for about 3 years with no known problems. But it certainly couldn't hurt to let people know you use it in the beers description.

Bill

Comment

Being lactose intolerant - it gives me asthma, please ensure lactose is listed as an ingredient. Not that I expect I will be tasting any of your beers, geographical location almost certainly precludes this, but I now have to look at all food ingredients, beer included

Cheers
      dick

Comment

Lactose

Lactose doesn't agree with me either, I believe it should be on the label for sure as an ingredient, I was told that stouts from Jamaica, Trinidad, Sri Lanka etc can contain Beef broth..any body know anything about this ?

On the subject of labelling..Dick how to you feel about the U.K.'s proposed ingredient labelling for brewery's...isinglass etc..?

cheers

Tariq (Dark Star Brewery, West Sussex, U.K.)
        Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
        Vancouver, B.C.
        Canada

Comment

Hello All,

As yet another lactose intolerant brewer, I too agree, include it on the label, and please make it obvious. Even very small amounts can cause discomfort.

When in doubt, I avoid the stout. And that's a shame.

Cheers,
          Ron
          Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Re labelling, because of my expereince with a couple of food intolerances, I believe any ingredient should be listed. In the case of gluten free, I don't believe it is easy to ensure gluten free unless you only brew gluten free beers with that brewing plant and yeast. So I am always wary of "gluten free" beers from small breweries, but have to say, I don't remember actually suffering with any to date.

Regarding the white finings problem, I have to presume that the finings industry etc are correct in their claim that no-one has ever been proven to be allergic to collagen, and so from an allergen point of view, I don't think it is necessary. If I were a strict vegetarian / vegan, then I would want to know that fish material had been used in the production of beer, and so would want to see it labelled. I think this is a valid reason for its inclusion in labelling.

Having said that, like so many things, it really is a pain in the a***, and if people used the ounce of common sense the vast majority were born with, and we didn't have such a litigious, "I blame the world, not myself for all my problems", then we would need this sledgehammer.

OK Rant over

Cheers
            dick

Comment

Thanks again

Thanks again to all, you have made it very clear to me that I need to label this accordingly. This all makes great sense to me. Appreciate the great feedback AGAIN!!

Kyle

Comment

Working...
              X