Pumping Carbonated Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumping Carbonated Beer

We are looking to expand our production, but in order to do so we will be having to keg beer a good 40/50 feet from our BBT and I'm not sure CO2 alone would be able to keep up with the flow? Does anyone know about low-oxygen pumps or something that would be used to help aide the flow of finished, carbonated beer? Thanks a bunch!

Our new IDD Squire keg washer/filler uses a Top Flow C114 pump for keg filling. With 15 psi on the fermenter, it has no problem drawing beer through 40' of 1 1/2" brewery hose--no foaming and fast fills. It would obviously work even better if the pump were at the ferm, pushing the beer.

I'm used to seeing positive-displacement pumps used for this, either diaphragm-type or peristaltic, but the C114 works and is much, much cheaper--besides being one of my favorites for ease of repair.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Awesome I will look into this pump, thanks a bunch!

Comment

I've always used air driven diaphragm pumps for that job. The pumps are a pain to work on when something on them decides not to work. But they do the job nicely. I've always liked that I can set the pressure I want the beer to be at past the pump and the pump will work to keep that pressure on the line, regardless of how slow or fast the beer in the line is moving.
        I can't say I've used Tim's set up though... And Tim knows what he's doing.
        Manuel

Comment

Good point, Manuel.

The pump on our keg filler runs only when filling a keg--as soon as the fob detects beer, it shuts off. A C114 combined with a VFD and pressure sensor should also work well, but without some regulation, I'd expect problems.

We've loosed at the pneumatic driven diaphragm pumps, but the cost was prohibitive at the time. Thank for the heads-up regarding maintenance!
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Tim - Maintenance on the pumps isn't too frequent. But tearing the pumps down to replace the diaphragms does tend to be a PITA. But then what in a brewery really was built to be taken apart and repaired in an easy and efficient manner?
            Manuel

Comment

Nothing at all, AFIK.

Salud!
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

C114 pump with VFD and pressure switch or regulator

Hi,

We have set up lots of the C114 pumps just as Timm suggests. The our new VFDs are quite smart so they can be used in conjunction with a gauge or a switch to do this for you.

GOOD => C114 + pressure gauge and manual speed adjustment
                BETTER => C114 + pressure switch to start and stop the pump, with manual speed adjustment
                BEST => C114 + pressure sensor to automatically control the pressure in the line and do automatic speed adjustment. (Manual override is available as well)
                Your CPE Systems Team!
                CPE Systems Inc.
                800-668-2268
                CPEsystems.com
                Thinkpumps.com
                sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Working...
                X