Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second dose of oxygen for high gravity beers

Hey all,

Just wanted to get some opinions on adding a second dosing of oxygen for high gravity (20P+) beers. I recently read and heard from a few people that for their higher gravity beers, they've had success with adding some oxygenation 12-24hrs after the initial pitch. Chris White also quoted a study (forget what study it was exactly) that suggested the same. I was wondering if anyone else uses this method or any other similar/different methods for oxygenation with high gravity beers?

We oxygenate inline during the transfer to the fermenter, and haven't had any issues with attenuation, etc., and our yeast has been performing very well, so I'm not sure we need to change up our process. Then again, we're brewing a 24.3P barleywine, and for the pilot batches we have added a second dosing of oxygen after 12 hrs, and the fermentation speed and attenuation were both outstanding. So, I'm considering doing the same for our production run. But, since there are risks of staling/oxidizing the beer, and over-oxygenating, etc., I'm not dead set on adding the second dosing of O2.

Any thoughts and opinions would be awesome, thanks!
    Adam
    Maplewood Brewing Company
    Logan Square, Chicago

No need to worry about oxidation any more than you would for the first time you oxygenate, the yeast is going to consume all that oxygen right away.

I've heard good things about adding a second dose of oxygen for high gravity beers as well. A brewer we know well that makes excellent bold high gravity beers swears by it.

Comment

There's a calculation based on % Apparent Attenuation that gives a quick and dirty feel on where the yeast is (aerobic or anaerobic). I don't remember what it is, but I'll post it if I find it.

My point is that you don't want to aerate after the bulk of the yeast has switched to anaerobic fermentation. I wouldn't think that repitching is an issue, but the yeast can burn out glycogen reserves if aerated at the wrong time, and that's going to cause some issues when the booze gets up there.

Comment

On our really big beers using American Ale (barleywine, imperial whatnots, etc) I put a carb stone in the tank and goose it with oxygen the morning after brewing. Had to come in on Christmas once to do it. Seems to help with final gravity and full attenuation but I don't have an actual data or like, DO readings or cell counts or anything. As always, YMMV.
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by asaphelps View Post
          Hey all,

Just wanted to get some opinions on adding a second dosing of oxygen for high gravity (20P+) beers. I recently read and heard from a few people that for their higher gravity beers, they've had success with adding some oxygenation 12-24hrs after the initial pitch. Chris White also quoted a study (forget what study it was exactly) that suggested the same. I was wondering if anyone else uses this method or any other similar/different methods for oxygenation with high gravity beers?

We oxygenate inline during the transfer to the fermenter, and haven't had any issues with attenuation, etc., and our yeast has been performing very well, so I'm not sure we need to change up our process. Then again, we're brewing a 24.3P barleywine, and for the pilot batches we have added a second dosing of oxygen after 12 hrs, and the fermentation speed and attenuation were both outstanding. So, I'm considering doing the same for our production run. But, since there are risks of staling/oxidizing the beer, and over-oxygenating, etc., I'm not dead set on adding the second dosing of O2.

Any thoughts and opinions would be awesome, thanks!
          We do it in some of our high gravity beers. Beers fermented with 001 it seems to clean up some esters. We also do it in a 37*p imperial stout and it works well (the beer usually finished around 3-4*p). Pure O2 inline for 20 minutes via a carbstone in a pump recirc loop.

Comment

Originally posted by BMan1113VR View Post
            We do it in some of our high gravity beers. Beers fermented with 001 it seems to clean up some esters. We also do it in a 37*p imperial stout and it works well (the beer usually finished around 3-4*p). Pure O2 inline for 20 minutes via a carbstone in a pump recirc loop.
            Same here, all of our high gravity beers 11% and above get o2 after fermentation begins.

—Todd

Comment

Originally posted by BMan1113VR View Post
              Pure O2 inline for 20 minutes via a carbstone in a pump recirc loop.
              20 minutes? Huh. I do two at 6 LPM or so.
              Russell Everett
              Co-Founder / Head Brewer
              Bainbridge Island Brewing
              Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
              X