unmalted wheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unmalted wheat

I've posted this on another thread, but didn't receive many replies.
    I've heard that unmalted wheat produces a better beer as opposed to malted wheat. Is this true? If so, why? Also, how is this possible without step mashing or decocting? My system is not set up for that.

Simple question:
    Define "better beer".

Rob
    "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

simple question answer

Sorry, "better beer" is a bit broad. Better head retention, stronger wheat flavor. It's been said that some have had "better results" with unmalted wheat.

Comment

Some say the closer you get to the grain in it's original state, the closer you'll be to the original flavour.

If you want to use unmalted grain, but don't have a cereal cooker, buy flaked grains. The rolling/flaking process is done with heat, and therefore the grain is pre-gelatinized and you can just toss it into your mash with your other malts. From my own experience, using large amounts of flaked grains is easy if you use some oat/rice hulls to help fluff up the mash a bit. Check your malt spec sheet, and make sure your 2-row has a high enough DP to handle this scenario.

Comment

I've only used torrefied wheat, but this have used this at up to (from a rather rusty memory) of up to 15% in a mash tun with an hours stand, no mixing, without any problem. You need to use these sort of grains where the starch has been pre-gelatenised, such as torrified wheat, flaked barley, maize etc as otherwise the malt enzymes cannot access the starch.

What you have heard may be due to the head retention performance of wheat. I don't remember anything about raw wheat giveing beer better head retention than torrified wheat, but perhaps this is the case, or at least, perceived to be the case.
          dick

Comment

Working...
          X