Well carry over from root beer finally happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well carry over from root beer finally happened

Went to a local watering hole and they had some of that hard rootbeer on a draft line. I ordered a beer and sure enough it had that rootbeer odor and taste. So Im sure they didnt clean the line and Im not sure you can ever get the rootbeer odor and perhaps taste out of a draft line. So ya might want to be careful putting that on tap and no im not hating on the new rootbeer fad just want to warn folks about a possible issue
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post
    Went to a local watering hole and they had some of that hard rootbeer on a draft line. I ordered a beer and sure enough it had that rootbeer odor and taste. So Im sure they didnt clean the line and Im not sure you can ever get the rootbeer odor and perhaps taste out of a draft line. So ya might want to be careful putting that on tap and no im not hating on the new rootbeer fad just want to warn folks about a possible issue
    Hi Mike,
    I've been making a soft root beer on tap for over a decade. I always tell my accounts to "dedicate" a tap and tap line to the root beer. Flavor stain has always been my concern. The accounts that want to switch products are encouraged to also switch their tap line.
    My two cents...

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

We used to do soft root beer at our brewery a long time ago. The corny kegs that we used still smell like root beer, even after multiple deep cleans with PBW, and caustic. Can't imagine that it'll ever come out of a draft line.

Comment

I have heard running glycol through a draft line can pull RB and other flavor stains out of a draft line but havn't done it my self.

Comment

Same thing happened to a new brewery that opened down the street, went in to check it out and they were new so they had alot of guest taps on to fill out their lineup. got a nice flight and the very first one i had was a pilsner from another brewery and it was an instantaneous wow that wreaks of rootbeer and taste like rootbeer pilsner, which im sure the original brewery didnt intend for that. I guess they havent learned their lesson because I had another customer come in and tell me they had a saison on that oddly tasted like rootbeer to them.
          Bog Water Brewing Co. est 2012 revived 2013

Comment

Originally posted by BogWater View Post
            taste like rootbeer pilsner,
            The may just be ahead of the curve: It seems alcoholic root beers are growing. :-)
            Glacier Brewing Company
            406-883-2595
            info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing View Post
              The may just be ahead of the curve: It seems alcoholic root beers are growing. :-)

That is true although i dont think the original brewery was looking for a touch of rootbeer in their pilsner.....but you know maybe this other one thought they could make it like a pseudo-collaboration. Just dont let the other guys know
              Bog Water Brewing Co. est 2012 revived 2013

Comment

Carry over through lines?

Has anyone had experience with carry over of root beer flavor/aroma from a dedicated line inside a trunk line to other lines? We will be installing a 50 foot 10 line trunk, and will be dedicating 1 line for house made soft root beer. I've heard varying reports about flavor/aroma bleed through, but have been assured that it won't happen when using the new barrier lines.

If anyone has real world experience with this scenario, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                X