Odd chiller issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd chiller issue

I have a glycol chiller setup to a 20bbl tank that has 3 cooling zones. We are connected to two of those zones with our chiller and the third is open. My question is in regards to pump speed or more so understanding a phenomenon that I am seeing while we are attempting to crash this brite.

Here are the conditions:

1.) this is the only tank setup to the chiller.
    2.) the chiller/glycol reservoir is holding at 29f
    3.) the return water from the tank is coming back to the reservoir at nearly the same temp! 29-30f (no exchange in temp)
    4.) The brite/tank temp is held at 44f and we are needing to be in the 34f range as a goal.
    5.) no active fermentation is occurring therefore no major heat being generated internally.
    6.) co2 head pressure is on, but no additional co2 added for a period of time to ensure that co2 is not altering temp/

Why am I seeing the 0-degree change in temp from the glycol in and out of the brite? Could it be pump speed? Should I cap the third (top) cooling zone that is above the beer/fluid line.

Sounds like your tank connections aren't correct, or you have a bypass on your glycol line that is open too much.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by lhall View Post
      Sounds like your tank connections aren't correct, or you have a bypass on your glycol line that is open too much.
      You are correct! Found the schematic and discovered I had them switched. I could see an immediate difference in volume of glycol. Once we reconnected (not losing much glycol during the switch) I discovered we are shy about 7-gallons. The difference is that when I am pushing the glycol from low-to (up hill) it fills the cavity and therefore needs more glycol volume. It is one of those duh!! moments!

Comment

Working...
      X