Youth Sports Sponsorship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth Sports Sponsorship

So, I keep getting approached by some of the local operators of a youth sports league about sponsoring one of their teams. I told them I was pretty sure there is a law against that, but I cannot find language anywhere. Does anyone know if there is in fact a law against it, or is it more a best practices thing.

I like the league and played in it myself as a kid. The operators are regulars in our taproom and my old coach hit me up to sponsor his team (best coach I ever had). I want to give back, but I think if I do I won't get any marketing benefit from it...obviously this is targeting the parents and not the kids themselves (it's an 8-12 year old league).

We do make a non alcoholic root beer so I was thinking maybe I could advertise that specifically, but it's not really a focus of ours as it is just available in our taproom, and I don't want to poke the proverbial bear.

Any experiences with this or language that targets this specifically. I remember you used to see Bud logos as a kid at some of the local fields, it seems like they all got pulled around the same time.

Originally posted by Lumberjack View Post
    So, I keep getting approached by some of the local operators of a youth sports league about sponsoring one of their teams. I told them I was pretty sure there is a law against that, but I cannot find language anywhere. Does anyone know if there is in fact a law against it, or is it more a best practices thing.
    I'm not an expert, but was asked a similar question about sponsoring a city rec baseball league when I was coaching. It's a fairly complex issue, but there is a publication from Johns Hopkins CAMY that explains it well, and contains a table at the end that summarizes the laws by state. This info is a bit dated, but not too bad...2012.

Regards,
    Mike

Comment

I like the league and played in it myself as a kid. The operators are regulars in our taproom and my old coach hit me up to sponsor his team (best coach I ever had). I want to give back, but I think if I do I won't get any marketing benefit from it...obviously this is targeting the parents and not the kids themselves (it's an 8-12 year old league).

We do make a non alcoholic root beer so I was thinking maybe I could advertise that specifically, but it's not really a focus of ours as it is just available in our taproom, and I don't want to poke the proverbial bear.

Any experiences with this or language that targets this specifically. I remember you used to see Bud logos as a kid at some of the local fields, it seems like they all got pulled around the same time.
      My advice, either give the league money from YOU personally or don't give at all. Without knowing how large and established you are but a vocal pissed off minority can kill a small business. I would stick to more effective marketing.

Comment

Hiya Matt,
        If this is a school district sponsored league, walk away. Not worth the fall out. Otherwise, sponsor them with the ENTIRE emphasis on your (I'm sure) awesome, non-alcoholic root beer. I'm uncertain as to a law barring your brewery fro doing this. It is a fine edge to walk, however, in the public's eye.
        Luck to you,

Your friend Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies everybody!

I was leaning the way of staying clear (even though I would like to help), and everyone's comments made it a lot easier to go that route. It kind of sucks that I can't give back to the what I think is the most fair, balanced, and encouraging youth sports league in my small community, because a small minority view our industry as such a terrible vice. How those few see right through me and know of my dark plan to take of the world with beer is beyond me! <<<that is pure sarcasm, if you quote that out of context I'll have to go find some lawyer and them money to talk to you.

Anyways thanks for getting the idea out of my head that "hey sure it will be fine, a$$holes don't really exist."

Hope everything is cool out in MT Dave. I'll have to send you something here soon.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everybody!

I was leaning the way of staying clear (even though I would like to help), and everyone's comments made it a lot easier to go that route. It kind of sucks that I can't give back to the what I think is the most fair, balanced, and encouraging youth sports league in my small community, because a small minority view our industry as such a terrible vice. How those few see right through me and know of my dark plan to take of the world with beer is beyond me! <<<that is pure sarcasm, if you quote that out of context I'll have to go find some lawyer and them money to talk to you.

Anyways thanks for getting the idea out of my head that "hey sure it will be fine, a$$holes don't really exist."

Hope everything is cool out in MT Dave. I'll have to send you something here soon.
            Just give them a donation, write it off when you file your taxes, and reap any potential rewards from giving to charity.

Comment

Working...
            X