Solenoid voltage choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solenoid voltage choice

If you have had experience with both, which have you preferred as far as the voltage for your glycol solenoids - 24 VDC or 24 VAC? (I know that 120 VAC is also an option.) If you have used both - what did you find to be the pros and cons of each?

Thanks,

Guy B.
    Garage Brewing Co.

We went with 24VAC
    Found it was easier to find the transformers.
    I would NOT use 120VAC as you are then required to run watertight conduit to each valve. Also, being 24vac, you are not subject to electrical codes and inspections.

24VAC or 24VDC probably does not make any difference in performance but might be harder to convert AC to DC

Comment

I have used both 24VAC and 24VDC and never have seen any difference in performance. IMO either are fine, with the obvious caveat that you want everything in the system to match

Comment

DC is my choice.

You have much more control equipment which can be run on 24VDC than for 24VAC. If it is strictly for solenoids, then no big deal. But if you are using control voltage for things like lights, overboil sensor, proximity switches, timers, controllers, transmitters, contactor coils & permissives, or other things I can't remember at this time..... Seems like 24VDC is much more common for power source. Besides, it is usually installed as a controlled, regulated, fused, DIN rail power block rather than just an unregulated, unprotected transformer as is often done for 24VAC. And it doesn't really cost any more.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

solenoids

for high quality solenoids check out Burkert...but be prepared to pay for quality.
          most of what's available online, even from Grainger, is some version of a standard chinese made solenoid.

consider using a motorized proportional valve by Belimo, 24V AC or DC, surprisingly very affordable...you can spec out your CV, it opens proportionally so you won't have to deal with any hammering in your lines (hence easier installation since you don't have to tie it all down).

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
          You have much more control equipment which can be run on 24VDC than for 24VAC. If it is strictly for solenoids, then no big deal. But if you are using control voltage for things like lights, overboil sensor, proximity switches, timers, controllers, transmitters, contactor coils & permissives, or other things I can't remember at this time..... Seems like 24VDC is much more common for power source. Besides, it is usually installed as a controlled, regulated, fused, DIN rail power block rather than just an unregulated, unprotected transformer as is often done for 24VAC. And it doesn't really cost any more.

Comment

Minor point, but... 24vac requires a transformer, 24vdc requires a power supply.

Sometimes it depends on what power your controllers use. There are many ways to build tank controllers.
            Todd G Hicks
            BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Working...
            X