Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phenolics

Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice from the pros here. I just brewed a batch of porter that leaves a phenolic/band-aid after taste on the back of the tongue. We've brewed 100+ batches on location, and this is the 3rd batch I've dumped due to this problem. Fortunately, we brew small batches (3 barrels), and I am far more comfortable dumping this than trying to pass it off on tap.

I thought I had it narrowed down to a poly fermentor, so I decommissioned it. We use only stainless vessels now, and we CIP with caustic at 150 degrees, and run a sanitizer cycle with acid. I personally confirmed that the tank was clean and sanitized immediately prior to use. All valves and fittings were removed and disassembled. I don't believe the phenolics in this batch were a result of bacterial contamination in the tank. If the phenolics are bacterial in nature, it was not in the tank. This leads me to question our hoses and chiller. My process for those is to back-flush them with caustic and then pasteurize them boiling hot wort. Honestly, sometimes I run acid through them and sometimes I don't. In this case, I did not document whether or not the hoses received a sanitizer cycle. However, all hoses and equipment used to transfer the wort from the tank to the fermentor get a closed-loop cycle of wort at 200 degrees for 10 minutes or so. The entire chiller heats up to over 190 degrees or so during this process. It seems unlikely to me that there is an contamination that occurs in this stage, but I am seeking advice from you guys for a reason. This batch of beer is causing me to re-evaluated my whole process.

We remove chlorine from the water with a charcoal water filter. I will need to ask my water department about chloramine.

I believe at least one of the phenolic batches I dumped was due to a dirty heating element in the RIMs system. Admittedly, I didn't realize the importance of keeping them SPOTLESS for recirculating. The rest of our system is gas fired. We only use a heating element at this part of the process. The first time I realized that the heating element could be contributing to the off-flavor was when I used it to heat my mash water and left the water recirculating longer than I usually do before I dough in. The water itself had a smokey odor, which would certainly carry over into the beer. Another time, after mashing our IPA for an hour, the entire mash tun smelled smokey, like burnt cigarettes. Obviously, I dumped that mash. I have been scrubbing the element and soaking it in caustic ever since, making sure to remove any bits of char. I am pretty sure the element was spotless when I used it for the porter, but it did develop a bit of char during the mash.

Right now, I'm feeling like the culprit is more than likely the RIMs system, but I'm not certain. I'm considering switching to HERMs for the peace of mind. What should my next course of action be? I'm not sure if it's the hoses, chiller, element, or water.

Band-Aid phenols tend to come from under pitching and/or high ferment temps. Tell us about your pitching rates and fermentation temperature control.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
      Band-Aid phenols tend to come from under pitching and/or high ferment temps. Tell us about your pitching rates and fermentation temperature control.
      Fermentation controlled to within +/- 1 degree of 68 using a stainless immersion coil with glycol. I'm guilty of sometimes pitching warm (73-74) as the wort is usually cooled to below 70 in under a couple hours. However, with the lower ground water temperatures we've had lately, I haven't had any issue chilling to 66 and then free rising to 68.

Pitching rate using the standard formula of 1 million cells / ml / degree plato. I use dry yeast so it's really easy to estimate cell count. I simply use a cell density of 6bil cells per gram as provided by Fermentis.

On this batch, I noted that the pitch temp was 74 but had dropped to 69 within 2 hours. *edit* I should also note that the temperature probe is taped to the side of the yeast cone, and that there is a thermometer mid tank as well. We monitor the cone temp and the temp at the middle of the tank.
      Last edited by claponsie; 12-10-2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I would recommend switching to pasteurizing your equipment with hot water rather than wort. The heat should be killing anything but wort residue is very good for growth of anything.
        Also - what kind of hoses are you using for your transfer? A lot of hoses aren't rated for temps above 150 - and can leach all sorts of things from the plastic if they get too hot
        Manuel

Comment

Originally posted by mmussen View Post
          I would recommend switching to pasteurizing your equipment with hot water rather than wort. The heat should be killing anything but wort residue is very good for growth of anything.
          Also - what kind of hoses are you using for your transfer? A lot of hoses aren't rated for temps above 150 - and can leach all sorts of things from the plastic if they get too hot
          I'll give that a try. I could probably pasteurize the lines with hot water if I do it while mashing and use the BK to heat the water.

We used braided vinyl hose for the longish run from the pump to the fermentor and Thermoplastic Hose 1/2" for the short runs. Do you think phenolic off-flavors are being leached from the vinyl hose when I pasteurize it with wort?

Comment

you may well be leaching something from the vinyl tubing. I don't think its rated for heat past 150. Make sure that all the tubing you're using can handle the heat. It could also be that the heat is leaching something out that is interacting with the yeast or fermentation by products.
            Manuel

Comment

What yeast are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by pennbrew2 View Post
                What yeast are you using?
                We're using
                US-05

Comment

Have you seen this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by pennbrew2 View Post
                    Yes, but until I'm convinced that my process is perfect, I'm not going to blame the supplier. US-05 has been the most consistent yeast I've ever used in terms of predictability and reliability.

Comment

I'm going to be working on the following solutions, one at a time, until I determine what the most likely root cause was. Right now, my instinct tells me that there may be a chlorine issue. I've been running water through my carbon filter at a pretty high gpm, so there is likely residual chlorine in the mash water. I will know for sure when my chlorine test kit arrives later this week.

Comment

Another thing I noticed was that the phenol character was greatly reduced after a few days of cold conditioning. It's still detectable.
                        Last edited by claponsie; 12-14-2015, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claponsie View Post
                          Another thing I noticed was that the phenol character was greatly reduced after a few days of cold conditioning. It's still detectable.
                          This would make sense as you're dropping out some of the PT complex (~haze) which includes the direct cause of the off-flavor (weird phenol). I agree with the other responses to the thread - use heat (180 F water for 20 minutes) to sanitize your HX, ensure that your hoses are used for their rated temps, and ensure that your filter is removing all city chlorine. It would be a big deal for a utility to make the switch to chloramine, especially without letting the end user know, but who knows.
                          Steve Straub
                          Brewer, Springfield Brewing Company, Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by stephenstraub View Post
                            This would make sense as you're dropping out some of the PT complex (~haze) which includes the direct cause of the off-flavor (weird phenol). I agree with the other responses to the thread - use heat (180 F water for 20 minutes) to sanitize your HX, ensure that your hoses are used for their rated temps, and ensure that your filter is removing all city chlorine. It would be a big deal for a utility to make the switch to chloramine, especially without letting the end user know, but who knows.
                            After cold crashing, I felt the beer was good enough to tap. Ended up being a huge hit in the tap room. Glad I didn't dump it. I guess sometimes it just takes a little patience.

Comment

Working...
                            X