Sock Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Filter

I inherited a lenticular that we put 4 x 16 inch cartridges in and then filter thru 100HL of gelled beer. Sometimes this works nicely and other times the yeast behaves poorly and sends bolts of yeast to foul the filter even though it has had many days to be crashed and gelled. I am considering adding a sock filter because they are much cheaper to toss than the cartridges at 300+ per but am a little overwhelmed with the options. ANyone use this sequence or sock filter then lenticular? I ould use some experienced words.

Originally posted by C*Lukie View Post
    I inherited a lenticular that we put 4 x 16 inch cartridges in and then filter thru 100HL of gelled beer. Sometimes this works nicely and other times the yeast behaves poorly and sends bolts of yeast to foul the filter even though it has had many days to be crashed and gelled. I am considering adding a sock filter because they are much cheaper to toss than the cartridges at 300+ per but am a little overwhelmed with the options. ANyone use this sequence or sock filter then lenticular? I ould use some experienced words.
    Are you taking the beer from your racking arm or your discharge port on the FV? Is your racking arm free to rotate 360 degree?

We have a bag filter with a 1 micron nominal in it and I tried it once with a beer that seemed clear but it clogged in matter of a few 100s liters. Since yeast typically measure 3–4 micron in diameter, you dont have much choice in the size of bag filter. You could try 3 micron but my guess is it would clog as well.
    Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
    www.CasselBrewery.ca
    Casselman ON Canada

Comment

Working...
    X