Dry yeast needs aerating wort?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry yeast needs aerating wort?

I just registered but have been followin this forum for long, let me share my experience about aerating wort when pitchin dry yeast:

During my last 25 years brewing @ home & @ my brewery I have used almost all dry yeast brands available.
    When homebrewing I never aerated the wort & both open & closed fermentations always ended up as expected, but when brewing @ my brewery I never wanted to risk anything with big batches so I always did as all my brewer coleagues are doing @ their breweries difusing oxygen into the wort both inline or directly also checking the ppm amount with a dissolved O2 meter.
    I thought if everybody does it must be for a reason, right? but after Reading maby books about yeast & almost getting the same reason: to provide a more healthy yeast, I decided to contact the provider of most of the yeast I am using: Fermentis. This is the reply I got from them:

We don’t recommend to aerate the wort in normal conditions. The dry yeast has been produced and dried with a specific know-how of the Lesaffre Group, in order to maximize the Ergosterols content of the cells. It allows the yeast to ferment well.
    However, you could aerate the wort in particular cases, for example if you recycle the yeast, maybe the 02 will be limited after the 4th or 5th pitch.

This last year I decided not to oxygenate the wort in all of the beers I am brewing which are on a ABV range of 5-10% & they all ended up with the same fermenting activity & time, final gravity & profile, nothing was different, thoug please note it has been only using fermentis, just in case somebody wants to risk a big batch with anyother brand & it goes bad... maybe this "specific know-how" from the fermentis reply is how the process their yeast cultures & could be in a very different way than other brands.

When no oxygenating the wort, I have pitched the yeast directly on top in the fermenter few times just to confirm & check that teres a bigger lack of time until yeast gets very active, but normally I prepare a starter.

So I guess I am not going to use more O2, at least when using Fermentis yeasts.

Anybody with any experiences on this?

Recently had Ferments rep at the brewery. He said aerating a fresh pitch wasn't necessary, but "I didn't say it won't help". This was in response to my anecdotal experience of much faster starts wen aerating as opposed to not aerating fresh pitch. The terminal grab was the same, but the aerated wort started much quicker.

Comment

Working...
    X