Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pasteurization, Bottle condition, and the QC and shelf life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasteurization, Bottle condition, and the QC and shelf life?

I am referring to bottled beer here.

I understand that pasteurization really helps the QC and shelf life of the bottled beer, although it affect the taste to a certain extent. But even that, there are lots of bottles beers out there taste great pasteurized. My understanding is that great cares must be taken bottling pasteurized beer - sanitation, prevention of oxidation...etc.

Then there are these people selling their beer unpasteurized, but limiting their beer to 1-2 mo of shelf life. (Whether consumers are drinking it within this time frame is another story.)
    There are also people use sterile filtration and then not pasteurize the beer, but this also affect the taste, and again "sanitation, prevention of oxidation..."

I think I read it somewhere they said bottle conditioning protects the beer from oxidation, produces better flavor, and helps against contamination. But again, it will be leaving live yeast in the bottle (which will be dead after a while)... and the general consumers tend not to like to see sediment in their beer.

So... which way is better? in terms of overall flavor? in terms of QC? in terms of shelf life?

Also, is it different between light beers (say, 1040 or less) vs strong beers (1060+) and how well they last in each treatment?

How do you guys usually do?
Working...
X