PDA

View Full Version : How do you mix you chemicals (Sani,Caustic,Acid)

WWSean
01-31-2016, 04:54 PM
Hello All,

Just wondering how you all mix your PA, Caustic and Acid cleaners. We use premixing dispensers right now and they are horrible. I can't get a consistent mixture if my life depends on it lol. Are there any easier ways to mixture other then handling dangerous chemicals?

beerguy1
02-01-2016, 05:37 AM
I just use hand pumps into a graduated container and then put it in the vessel. I dont trust those automatic mixers for anything other than mop water

JLL
02-01-2016, 09:03 AM
1. Obtain appropriate PPE Here is a link to the BA for recommendations (https://www.brewersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Best-Management-Practice-for-the-Selection-of-Protective-Clothing-for-Brewery-Workers.pdf)

2. Read all SDS sheets to assess risk

3. If you need guidance on dosing rates, contact your chemical supplier.

I have had experience with mixers and dosers in the past with very little luck. Find some good containers and graduated cylinders for moving chemicals around the brewery. I would also advise you to keep your chemical area away from traffic and have an up-to-date and visible SDS station by the chemicals.

ChesterBrew
02-01-2016, 09:40 AM
I just use hand pumps into a graduated container and then put it in the vessel.

We do the same here. At our scale, a marked 5-gallon homebrew bucket and Pyrex measuring cup does the trick.