Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negative Pressure in Bourbon Barrels

Hey All,

We recently began a testing program for our barrel projects and have come across barrels with negative pressures that suck in air when sampled. We obviously don't want to infect or oxygenate the barrels by testing so we are unable to Qc these barrels. Has anyone else come across this and have filling/storage/equipment techniques to avoid this?

Thanks for any input!
    Dan

First, I do not believe barrels are ever air tight in the first place. Second, if you have concerns, purge the free space with C02.

Comment

So...I guess I need to understand how you are sampling, how big a sample you need and what type of beer it is. Each may help understand your situation.
      Originally posted by dhl View Post
      Hey All,

We recently began a testing program for our barrel projects and have come across barrels with negative pressures that suck in air when sampled. We obviously don't want to infect or oxygenate the barrels by testing so we are unable to Qc these barrels. Has anyone else come across this and have filling/storage/equipment techniques to avoid this?

Thanks for any input!
      Dan

Comment

We are drilling into heads for microbial samples. Supposed to be more sterile than debunging.
        Barrels are filled with imperial type beers, not sours.

Comment

Does the storage temp fluctuate much? If so, how much?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboyone View Post
            Does the storage temp fluctuate much? If so, how much?
            Temperatue fluctuated from 65 F when they were filled in October to 61 F Now. Not Much.

Comment

A winemaker here.

Its very normal to have negative pressure with barrels. water and alcohol is evaporating out of the barrel to the tune of about 2 liters a month, hence creating a negative pressure. I look at it as a good thing, you know you have a good bung seal. We typically refill the barrels every month to month 1/2 ( topping) to prevent oxidation and keep acidic acid bacteria at bay.

Comment

Working...
              X