Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast slurry/starter help

Hello.

I'm trying to wrap my head around yeast slurry/starters and would appreciate any help.

I'm making a 550L batch at 10 plato.
    According to my calculations I need just over 4000B cells...is this correct?
    If yes, then how do I build a starter from a single pack of yeast with 100B cells in order to pitch?

From what I understand by reading on the net, I could pitch the yeast pack into 4L of starter and end up with 400B cells. Then I would pitch the slurry into 40L to get 4000B cells. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks for your help guys!

Have you looked into a lab pitch? Growing up from one homebrew pack will be time consuming and risk infection. It can be done but you might want to get a full pitchable quantity to start.

Comment

Are you doing this to save money? I agree you should get a proper pitch from a place like white labs or whoever you get your yeast from.

Also just for reference we pitch 300ml of fresh yeast into 125l batches and have no problem so you can really conserve if you need to.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
      Cheers,

Sean Goddard
      Brewmaster
      Whitewater Brewing Co. LTD

Comment

You can cut out one step, we pitch 5 vials of white labs in a 20 gallon batch let it ferment to 30 to 50% gravity drop. Then pump it into our main fermenter with our knocked out batch. Wyeast has instructions on its professional brewers website about the procedure. We vary the pitch rate right now because we're trying to tweet the flavor profile.

One note, we only do this for one beer and it's gone in 2 weeks and we a decent lab to work with. When we start distribution we will get a pure pitch and move on from there.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Noble31 View Post
          You can cut out one step, we pitch 5 vials of white labs in a 20 gallon batch let it ferment to 30 to 50% gravity drop. Then pump it into our main fermenter with our knocked out batch. Wyeast has instructions on its professional brewers website about the procedure. We vary the pitch rate right now because we're trying to tweet the flavor profile.

One note, we only do this for one beer and it's gone in 2 weeks and we a decent lab to work with. When we start distribution we will get a pure pitch and move on from there.

How big is your fermenter?

Comment

We do 20 gal "starter" into a 6.5bbl batch. A 10 fold step up is appropriate. Everything else is us 05 rehydrate or repitched.

Comment

Working...
            X