older Crown and Cork fillers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• older Crown and Cork fillers

I've been approached by a brewery owner who is looking to get rid of their old filler. It came from a Coke bottler, vintage 1950's, Crown and Cork filler with 28 heads and 3 cappers. Short tube filler with no pre-evac. It appears to be in decent shape and the brewer says he's replaced all of the fill valves since they bought the filler.

I can get it for a bargin, but I wonder if it is worth it. Even with a nitrogen drip ahead of the filler, can these old short-tube fillers get decent bottle airs? The brewery in question had issues with oxidation in the bottles, but did not have a nitrogen drip before the filler.

Is anyone running a similar filler that can give me some advice?
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Interesting this subject too. Just started work on a filler as you described, but not Crown and Cork and vintage ..1977. Had problems before my arrival but after 3 Months, packaged product seems alright. Just sent samples off to check disolve oxygen and all. We are doing are best on the brewing side to keep the Oxygen down, but will have to wait and see. Seems to be a self life issue. Interest in more comments.

Comment

Short answer, NO

Originally posted by lhall
      I've been approached by a brewery owner who is looking to get rid of their old filler. It came from a Coke bottler, vintage 1950's, Crown and Cork filler with 28 heads and 3 cappers. Short tube filler with no pre-evac. It appears to be in decent shape and the brewer says he's replaced all of the fill valves since they bought the filler.

I can get it for a bargin, but I wonder if it is worth it. Even with a nitrogen drip ahead of the filler, can these old short-tube fillers get decent bottle airs? The brewery in question had issues with oxidation in the bottles, but did not have a nitrogen drip before the filler.

Is anyone running a similar filler that can give me some advice?
      I've seen other brewers, one in the shade of Crown Cork & Seal in baltimore, spend tons o'money to rebuild and they still are crap. Better to find an old Krones long tube, no pre-evac and rebuild. You can get speed, but not accuracy.

Or a second Meheen.
      Cheers & I'm out!
      David R. Pierce
      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
      POB 343
      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
      X