Polymer Concrete Catch Basin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polymer Concrete Catch Basin

I recently purchased a Polycast trench system with a catch basin. Everything looks great and the quality appears to be superb. However, I am concerned with the basin outlet connection to the drain pipe. The instructions say to rest the drain pipe onto the outlet and use either urethane caulk or 2 part epoxy grout around the pipe. With the basin practically entombed in concrete and the drain pipe just buried in compacted dirt, it seems likely that an essentially glued joint won't hold up over time. Does anyone out there have a polymer concrete basin and how did you approach this connection? Thanks.

Don't have one of these, but I do have a lot of experience with urethane caulking. If you use a top-quality urethane, like Vulkem, you should never have to worry. This stuff is nearly indestructible, and stays elastic forever. When removing windows that were caulked with a good urethane caulk, it's necessary to cut the caulking loose, even where it's exposed to the weather.

Get some Vulkem, follow the instructions carefully, and be sure to use a backer rod below the caulking--this makes for a well-shaped joint that can withstand many, many years of flexing and expansion/contraction.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Timm, I appreciate your responses to the questions I've had lately. I took a brief look at Vulkem 116. It does appear to be extremely tough stuff and appropriate for my application. Thanks again for the input!

Comment

Working...
      X