Where to place heating elements in 100 gal BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to place heating elements in 100 gal BK

I'm purchasing a 100 gallon Psychobrew boil kettle and am looking for advise on where I should have them weld in the 2 inch TC ferrules. I am having them add 3 of them, I am hoping to get away with only using 2, 5500W elements for most brews, and only add a third if I really need to. I would like to be able to make small test batches in it also, if possible. I believe the kettle has a diameter of 28 inches. Is anyone else running a similar setup?

Thanks

Basically, as low as possible, staggered so they do not overlap, or perhaps minimal overlap in something this size, and so they don't obscure the outlet. Put each unit on a separate switched supply, so you can switch on progressively as they are covered, and can be turned off if not required once run off complete and boiling.
    dick

Comment

Is there a point that is too low? I would like to be able to whirlpool in it also.

I was thinking to try and put 2 at the same vertical level, but on opposite sides of the kettle, then the third a few inches higher at the back of the kettle, so basically, the first 2 at elements at 4 and 8 o'clock and the third at 12 o'clock, but a few inches higher.

Or, would it be best to stagger then all on the same side, but each of them a few inches higher than the other?

Thanks,
      Virg

Comment

Effective whirlpool action and intrusions such as this don't go together as the intrusions disturb the whirlpool action. Having said that, providing they are above the debris cone, and here I am guessing at about a minimum of a foot above the base, you will probably get reasonable action. You may need to pump recirculate if the elements are that high though to ensure prober mixing.
        dick

Comment

Working...
        X