Equalization basin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equalization basin

We have our production in the facilities of a quite big brewery that closed down 15 years ago.

We have excellent drains. Up to 16 inch 316l stainless that was left when the other brewery closed down.

The drains, however, are corrected to a neutrilization basin. I don'ẗ know the english word for it.
    It is two basins of around 10 million liters put together where the pH is to be equalized to 6,5-10.0 before being pumped off to to the citys main sewer lines.

10 million liters is of course vaslty above what we really need, but the level switches now starts the pumps at the lowest possible setting wich is 75-140 000 liters. Don't know the precise number.

Six months back, we began experiencing severe infections down there. Think outhouse, that has been used by very many people during a hot summer.

So, the basins where emptied and cleaned for the first time since the 90s. My guess is that it would help with the pH problems we have been having. At least for a little while.

The problem to me is obvious. The basins are far to big for us, so we don't have enough circulation through the basins to wash out bacteria and neutralize the acid environment before it gets lowered again by bacteria.

One of the basins are to be bypassed so we only use one. But what if the problem remains?
    Is the only solution to have a couple of tons of pure caustic in storage at all times and adjust when needed?

I estimate that we pour down 50 000 liters each week.

Our contract says we are to have access to a functioning drainage system and I really doubt this is our fault. I think we are just pouring down nutrients for the bacteria. Current pH levels are 4,5.

replace the level switch

Hello,
    I would think the easiest solution would be to simply replace level switches.
    Something like this should work: https://www.ifm.com/ifmus/web/ps1.htm
    Do some math to determine the min and max volume you'd like to ever have in the basin, then figure out the column pressure at say 5000 litres (or whatever you like) to trigger the drainage pump, that way you're not sitting on top of 100,000 litres of nastiness.
    The sensor above has a limited temperature range (only up to 50 C), but my experience with equalization basins is that they're for ph and temperature adjust before sending to the municipality, so I think it should still work for you.
    Of course, any stainless submersible pressure sensor from any other manufacturer could do the trick, but IFM is based in Germany and I use lots of their products at my brewery.
    Good luck!
    Adam

Comment

Yeah, would do that, but it is not possible to set any limit switch lower than it already is. Then the pumps will run dry.

These are big pumps.

Comment

The only other idea I have would be to bypass the massive pumps from the equalization basin and then put in a standard submersible sump pump. The liquid level doesn't need to be particularly high for a sump pump to properly function. It's also a relatively cheap option.

Comment

Originally posted by adebower View Post
          The only other idea I have would be to bypass the massive pumps from the equalization basin and then put in a standard submersible sump pump. The liquid level doesn't need to be particularly high for a sump pump to properly function. It's also a relatively cheap option.
          This is so easy I feel embarassed that I didn't think of it. Thank you!

Comment

dam the basin

can you make a dam to cut off unnecessary portions of the basin, so it is a more realistic size.

Comment

Working...
            X