New brewer seeking help on nano system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New brewer seeking help on nano system

So I have a 3.5bbl Psychobrew System. We are double batch brewing into 5bbl jacketed fermenters. We have x2 lauter/mash tuns (Blichmann) that we use to fill our 100 gallon boil kettle. We brewed our first two batches (cream ales) eight days ago. Everything went smoother than expected. Collected our wort, pitched yeast and had a healthy fermentation that started quickly. I took gravity readings today and got the following results:
    Batch #1 OG 1050 to 1012
    Batch #2 OG 1048 to 1012
    Fermented x4 days at 64-66 then 68 for three days.
    I tasted my hydrometer samples and they weren't that good at all. They smelled yeasty and like Irish moss, which I used 1oz. in 90 gallon boil at 15 minutes. Is this common for Gravity samples to not taste good? I guess I was expecting something else. Didn't note any diacetyl or acetal aldehyde flavors or aroma. How much should I rely on these tastings? Hoping to crash cool my beers over the next two days and try them again.
    Any help would be appreciated! Thanks fellow Brewers!

If your samples are not crashed, there will be a lot of yeast still in suspension. I like to collect a sample, use some for a reading and some for taste test. The taste test sample goes in the fridge for a while and I decant off the clear beer from the top. This will help, but I have also learned to be able to taste past the yeast for off flavors.

Comment

You will learn to taste the unfinished beer as good or bad. It just takes time. Yeast can really toss a lot of flavours in there is you aren't used to picking them out. That being said, is you sample clear? It shouldn't taste horrible just not right. If you have a sample of chunk then maybe there is so much yeast in there it would but other then that you should get a good indication on how the beer is doing.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
      Cheers,

Sean Goddard
      Brewmaster
      Whitewater Brewing Co. LTD

Comment

The sample was quite hazey with yeast. Not major off flavors just not right. Yeasty for sure. Just wondering if my attenuations is ok? 75-76% seems good but did a sacch rest at 152. I feel like I am rushing the beer, opening a brewpub with a couple partners and they want to open May 1st. I really don't want to put out crappy beer. I would just like to know other Brewers schedules, I know it varies for each beer but some guys do one week primary, crash cool and carbonate. I have friends in Michigan with a similar set up and they let most of their brews sit for 10-15 days in primary fermentation, then another 10 to 15 days dry hopped or cold conditioning. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks
        Sam Fisk
        Last edited by samwhois; 04-19-2016, 07:35 AM.

Comment

You tell me if your attenuations are right, what were you shooting for? Fermentation time can vary depending on your procedures, for us we are able to ferment in 4 days @68 with the ester profile we want. Attenuation is a function of fermentability of your wort, which is a function of your mash temp. For a 152 rest temp, that seems like you are in the ball park, we typically can get to 1.010 from those OG with a 152 sacc. rest. But its all based on your design, what did you want it to be? If you were concerned with healthy yeast, you can always do a force ferment test to see how fermentable your wort is.

Comment

The attenuation seems a little high to me. I'm hoping to sample the beer to see how it tastes without all the yeast in suspension. I started on the low side, 64 to 65 degrees for four days and then when brought temps up to 68 for three days. I guess I was just not pleased with how the hydrometer sample tasted. It was just an aroma and taste that I guess I have never encountered before. My yeast was a fresh, 290 grams re-hydrated US-05. I will let you know how the sample is tomorrow. Hoping for the best. Thanks
            Last edited by samwhois; 04-19-2016, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X