Nancys Organic Low Fat Yogurt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nancys Organic Low Fat Yogurt

We do a Kettle Soured Berliner Weisse and have been just throwing some Acidulated Malt on top of the kettle, but I have been researching more on using yogurt. Has anyone played around with this that could provide me with some insight?

be careful with dosage. if you use too much it can definitely leave a yogurty taste. you're better off just making a big ass starter with it and then hoping it gets left behind at bottom of starter.

goodbelly probiotics is also well reviewed by alot of homebrewers, although it can be a bit expensive depending on your batch size. check out the milk the funk wiki on lacto starters. you can buy l.plantarum or other lacto/probiotic pills, open them and dump it in starter. the chalk keeps the pH from getting too low which allows the lacto to keep reproducing. within 2-3 days you'll have a ton of it in your starter. just shake it up to separate the chalk from the lacto and you've got a huge starter. it makes a big difference.

Comment

A few NW breweries did a talk at CBC a year or two ago about kettle souring and it was either Breakside or Gigantic that used Nancy's yogurt. You can find the talk in the BA archives.

Comment

Originally posted by aweis View Post
        We do a Kettle Soured Berliner Weisse and have been just throwing some Acidulated Malt on top of the kettle, but I have been researching more on using yogurt. Has anyone played around with this that could provide me with some insight?
        Why not do a true Kettle sour with properly produced brewers lactobacillus?? I'd be iffy adding dairy to my beer....

Comment

We have never used yogurt but have used other sources.

So far I have used:
          WLP677 Lactobacillus Delbruckii- from my experience it does not sour as quickly or drop pH as well as others (3.5). Also it has a singular lacto note to it (I ended up adding fruit to add in some malic acid complexity, and increase acidity)
          WLP672 Lactobacillus Brevis- Drops pH further than Del, singular note (AGAIN!). I ended up doing a blend of L. D and L. B from white labs, and it came out with better complexity and dropped pH down to 3.3
          Omega Lactobacillus Blend- love this blend, dropped the pH down to 3.25 in 24 hours. Great flavor.
          Goodbelly probiotic (mango)- This contains a ton of L. Plantarum. I have to say for cost purposes, dropping pH, and still having a nice lactic acidity this is a winner to me. We still typically use the Omega for our 15bbl batches but I have used this almost exclusively as of late for pilot batches and everything has been coming out nice.

Also I should note, I am a big fan of what The Yeast Bay has been doing. They have a new Lacto blend coming out and I am very excited to try it. I would never use grain to kettle sour because the other microbes living on it are too inconsistent and scary for me. Check out the alternative lacto sources wiki page on the milk the funk website for more ideas and techniques. Also the quick souring (parts 1 and 2) on Sour Beer Blog is a great resource as well.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Comment

We use 70oz of FAGE organic greek yogurt in our kettle sour. 7bbl system, we drop the ph to ~4.5, add yogurt and leave at 112 for 24-36 hours. ph drops to 3.4-3.5.

Comment

Working...
            X