Pump Seal Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump Seal Type

I am in the process of picking out a CIP pump and along with giving me the option for HP it also gives me a choice for "Seal Type".

The options are:
    D-Single mechanical external seal
    DG-Single mechanical external seal with replaceable ceramic seat
    F-Single mechanical external seal with water cascade

Im far from an expert when it comes to pumps so I was wondering what these options are for and which is appropriate for a 1.5 HP pump?

Option F. Your seals will last much longer with the water wash, especially when pumping caustics and/or wort.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

....and I'll take option DG.

I don't like to have water running all over the place, and I haven't had an issue with seals not lasting long enough. We replace our seals every two years. Maybe. And that's brewing most every day. So I like to keep it simple. I have a Hilge HLT pump with the same seal for 20 years.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

+1 for DG option, but any will work when you take care of it

Any seal option should work fine when incorporated with proper maintenance and upkeep. I would recommend the one with replaceable ceramic.

Pay attention to your rotary seals. Rinse any wort off of pump hardware right away.

Establish good SOP to completely dismantle/clean your pump head:

Originally we were only pulling the pump head and cleaning the head giant O-ring. What we didn't realize was that the impeller, backplate, rotary seal, and pump shaft were all removable for cleaning as well, and as such they were neglected. Over time, the rotary seals failed on our pumps and they would leak very bad, especially with hot wort transfer. Eventually wort had breached through the rotary seal/backplate along with the motor seals and ended up ruining the bearings. Bought a new motor, maybe I'll try to replace the bad bearings.

Now we completely disassemble the pump head, impeller, backplate, rotary seal for cleaning and inspection on a weekly basis - ususally at the end of a heavy brew week.

I'll let parts soak in PBW or Acid wash for a while and then scrub with a brush before sanitizing and reassembling You'll be amazed what you find hiding in there, especially after running PBW/Acid through it expecting it to be 'clean'.

Learn from our pain.

Comment

Working...
        X