Whirlpool hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool hops

Just curious what others are doing when it comes to WP hops. I'm making a pale ale/IPA 6% 53IBU and curious about the amount going into the WP. I will be passing my wort through a heat exchanger then to the WP and cooling to 140-150F. At this point I was going to throw hops(cascade, chinook, CTZ & centennial)in and whirlpool/rest for 15-20min then transfer to the FV. This is for a 7bbl batch...I'm looking at pitching roughly 4.5 lbs into the whirlpool...does this seem ok? More hops or less? Any advice or others experiences would be much appreciated!

A few questions

I guess I have a few questions, starting with "why"?

I'm familiar with some home-Brewers partially cooling their wort prior to knockout either because their HX can't cool from boiling to fermentation temp in one pass, or to get a cold break and assist with final beer clarity but what is your particular goal in adding hops at that stage?

With only a 10-20 minute rest at that temp I'm not sure what your efficiency will be on the hops, and you'll still (presumably) need to run back through the HX during knockout to get down to a "safe" fermentation temp. Whatever hops you're adding likely won't have whirlpooled out, so you run a risk of fouling your HX as well.

I'm not criticizing, I'm just genuinely curious on your proposed process

**edit: I missed where you plan to re-whirlpool after the first pass through the exchanger

Comment

I decided NOT to cool through the HXer because of the possibility of clogging it(glad I didnt). I went with a ten minute WP adding the hops at the end then resting for 15 minutes before transfer. I did clog the HX at the very end of transfer but 7bbl was gathered.

**just an idea from some of the other post on PB...keeping the hop character if pitched under 150/170f

Comment

Working...
      X