Very simple query on chilling kegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very simple query on chilling kegs

I've heard many cellarworkers describe either chilling or not chilling their stainless steel kegs before filling them, some telling me that foam will be a major concern without chilling, whereas others dismiss this possibility immediately. What is the general consensus on best practice?

Just fill 'em. Our keg washer/filler rinses with room temp water/sanitizer, then immediately fills the keg.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Havent pre chilled any in 14 years just keep back pressure on them. I wouldnt fill them if the where hot or warm straight from a wash though
      Mike Eme
      Brewmaster

Comment

Best practice is to fill the kegs using counter-pressure. Lots of threads here on that subject. The subject of chilling kegs, to my knowledge, has never before come up.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

If you have enough head pressure, and do not let the keg fall below the saturation pressure during filling, you can get nearly foam free fills without chilling the beer. Quickly too. We use 15-20psi to push beer to the filler which has the counter pressure valve set at 11-12 psi, sometimes 15 for higher carbonated beers. Fill times are between 4 and 6 minutes, no foaming issues.

Comment

Working...
          X