Storage area for barrel aged beers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage area for barrel aged beers?

So, I would assume like most of you, our brewery is in a crunch for space. We've got 2 units, 1 where our brewhouse and tap room is located which is heated and air conditioned, and then a 2nd unit where we keep all of our grain and our mill. The 2nd unit is only heated in the winter, no A/C. We've got a very small barrel program starting up, and I am looking for some advice.

In our first unit, where the brewery and tap room is, we currently have 5 filled barrels. One of the barrels has some brett in it, which was not on purpose but seems to be a happy accident so far. I am assuming this barrel has already transferred the brett to the other 4 barrels as they are in very close proximity to each other. So for this reason I don't really want to store any more barrels in here. Plus we're basically out of space and the little free space we do have available will be for new fermenters that are on order.

In the 2nd unit we store all of our grain and do all of our milling. There's also a huge walk in to store beer. I am considering putting any more barrels we fill here, but am not sure whether I should or not because of all the grain dust, lacto, and the fact it is not air conditioned and probably gets over 80 degrees in the summer. I definitely don't want every barrel we fill to get the brett that's in our 1st unit, so I'm really kind of torn as to where to put the next barrels we fill.

Anyone have any feedback? We are quite new to barrel aging and are starting off slowly so we can learn as we go. Any help would be appreciated.
Working...
X