when first starting out question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when first starting out question

Once you pick a location (not paid for) such as the town you want to start a brewery in. Who did you talk to in the town first? Town Clerk? Town Manager? Board of Selectmen?d

Every town might be a bit different, but we primarily deal with the city clerk in our city.

Comment

Start with the building dept and tell them where and what you have in mind to ensure you are compliant with zoning, neighbors, and what the utilities can handle. Once you get the "I don't see a problem" from them, speak with a local and/or state liquor control board or Department of Revenue. Certain states limit where you can place a brewery: i.e. in Montana, we have to stay a certain, physical distance from schools and churches (churches? REALLY?! a great number of breweries around the world started in monasteries!). Make the rounds in every government office you can just to ensure you have not missed anything. Luck to ya'.

Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Sewer. Just pulled out of a deal in Virginia because the sewer muni (very small) won't accept brewery wastewater.

Comment

The top

Depending on the size of your city and how approachable your mayor/ city manager/ town council are I might suggest starting with them. Sometimes these people don't necessarily make decisions that affect you (and sometimes they do) but they often employ the ones who do. Get them on your side.

Comment

sewer

I second the comment on the sewer. It's the last thing you think of but can kill a brewery. The cost of pretreatment of wastewater of any kind will blow your mind. Don't pay a dime to anyone until you find out if the wastewater plant can handle your waste without extra cost (at first).

Comment

Working...
            X