Biofine and Uni-Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biofine and Uni-Tanks

I am opening a 3.5 bbl brewery in a few weeks. I am using my fermentation tanks as uni-tanks. When should I add biofine in the process? I am kegging from the uni-tank and serving from the kegs.
    Thanks.

Biofine works best at near freezing temperatures, make sure you harvest whatever yeast you need before you dose. Recirc with a pump for a half hour too to make sure it gets good and mixed.

Comment

Can anyone tell me there dosage rate per barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by Bavbier View Post
        Can anyone tell me there dosage rate per barrel?
        We use between 70-90 mL/bbl for our ales. We filter our lagers.

Comment

I am using Brausol P from Erbslöh. It is the same stuff as Biofine. See: http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...-Fining-lagers

I add it - like they write in the description - in the whirlpool (0.5 liter for 1000 liter wort), then the same amount I add into my unitank before I pump the cool wort in there, then you can add again the same amount at the end of lagering into the beer. The last step I have not done so far because the beer can lager a long time, is clear enough and it is filtered anyhow.*

I have always been curious how brewers do the last step. The ones who do re-fermentation in the bottles or in the kegs have non pressure equipment. They often pump the clear beer to another vessel where it is mixed with Biofine or they just add it to the fermentation vessel. They let it rest for a day or so and mix the clear beer then with sugar in another vessel. Or they force carb it (very popular in the USA) in a bright tank with a carb stopne. Funny, I have never seen a brewery in Europe that force carbs their beers, always natural carbonisation.

When I asked guys with pressure tanks I got these answers:
          - Some pump it around
          - Some let the CO2 out and open the lid on top or the hop port on top and add it there. Then they attach CO2 to the carb stone or wherever and push CO2 bubbles up. They say it then mixes nicely with the beer. Then they pressuirze the tank again.

I think if I did it I would do it like this: I would get a hose that has a volume of the desired amount of Biofine I need. I would then attach the ond end to the unitank, fill the hose and attach the other end of the hose also. Then start the pump. This way you have almost no oxygen that goes into the tank and wasting all the CO2 to open a lid is not really necessary.

Best regards from Switzerland, Daniel

* By the way if someone is looking for an inpexpensive filter: I just bought a new filter COLOMBO25 (20 cm x 40 cm, 25 filters) from roverpompe.com from Italy. It was only (!) 700 USD and works really very well. Very happy so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt@Bauhaus View Post
            We use between 70-90 mL/bbl for our ales. We filter our lagers.
            I've been doing a little higher, in the 115 ml/bbl range since my jug of biofine is getting long in the tooth and I've heard that it loses effectiveness with age.

I add it to a sixtel which I then fill with beer off the fermenter. I shake it a bit then force the beer back into the fv. It's the only way I know how to add liquids and also keep the original vessel under pressure.

Comment

If you go too high in dose, you can get fluffy bottoms in the tank. If you are worried about the boifine and its ability to work, get a hydrometer with the correct range and test it. I do this on every batch to make sure that it is at the correct concentration.

Comment

Working...
              X