Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop Back...and kiss myself!

Hello everyone,

I have a question about using a hop back.

I'm currently brewing on a 50 bbl Newlands system that has a hop back already installed. It's never been used in eight years of operation and yesterday, I spent the afternoon cleaning it and dreaming of infusing our pale ale with a glorious hop aroma.

However, in poking around the web, I've only found scattered references to potential hop rates in a hop back (anywhere from 10 lbs to 50 lbs/bbl).

Does anyone have any experience using one? And if so, any guidance or good references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nate

re hop back

you can talk to brad mc quay at newlands at 604 855 4890 I made a hop back in a sealed unit that operates at 12 psi and has a wart contact time of 3 min. hoppy brewing don@brewerymaster.com

Comment

I have a 7 BBL system with a hopback and hop at 1-2 lbs per BBL. At 2 lbs/BBL I get a definately noticeable hop character in my IPA. I also use 2 or 3 different hops in some recipes. You will love the hop character it adds to your beers.

Comment

Thanks for the help...

Guys,

Many thanks for your help and suggestions. Since our pale ale is, for the moment, an English-style PA, I'm thinking about staying down around 0.25 - 0.5 lb./bbl and seeing what that does. Brewing on a 50 bbl system means that 50 lbs. of EKG whole-leaf would be expensive! I'll post after my brew and let you know how it works.

As for Brad, it's funny you should mention him. He just called about a couple weeks ago to see if I had any questions. This was before I started getting the HB cleaned and operational. Now might be a good time to give him a call!

Thanks again guys,

Nate

Comment

Nate, Valleybrew

Any chance you guys have pics available of your hopbacks? I would like to have one fabricated but I would like to see some actual "factory made" examples before I start drawing up some designs.

If you do, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my email.

Thanks

JackK

Comment

Hop Back

Thankyou everybody for the interesting discussion and information.

I am fascinated by the hoppy american ales and would like to try my hand at one or two. I would like to start off with a hop back, as apposed to dry hopping.

Does anybody know where I could get a hop back for a 10 hl Kettle. Links and/or addresses would be much appreciated - especially european links/addresses.

Comment

Working...
            X