reusable pallets and cartons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reusable pallets and cartons

Does any use reusable pallets, e.g. recycled plastic pallets instead of disposable wood pallets?

Likewise, anyone using any kind of returnable, reusable case cartons, e.g. sturdy paper board or plastic?

I hear that both are major money savers in other industries, but I don't know of any brewers using them. I recall some of the PA regional brewers like Yeungling and Straubs using returnable heavy paperboard cartons for their returnable 16oz bottles but that I haven't see those in years.

Thanks,
    Chris
    **Now Available in Bookstores**
    Fermenting Revolution: How to Drink Beer & Save the World

www.beeractivist.com - Drink Beer. Save the World.
    www.breworganic.com - Fine organic and fair trade homebrewing and home coffee roasting supplies.

Reusable

In Europe, returnable bottles and plastic beer crates are very common. The products sold become more competitive and it reduces the amount of waste per bbl/hL enormously.
    Typically for bottled beers, the packaging material cost is over 70% of the production cost.

However, you will have to invest in setting up the return to the microbrewery. Nice thing is that your customers will pay for your packaging materials as you will be asking for a deposit on the cases and bottles.

I am currently working on a big project involving returnable bottles and crates. PM if you need more info and advice.

BelgianBrewer
    Last edited by BelgianBrewer; 04-05-2008, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Bottles count?

I'm switching the hand-bottling of some of my specialty beers (1,000 bottles at a time) to swing-top 1 liter bottles, for which I will charge and pay-out a deposit.

That count?

I've never thrown a pallet away, nor have I bought one (directly).
      Cheers,
      Scott

Comment

Does anyone know of a Northeast American company that sells plastic cases for 12oz long neck bottles?

Comment

Working...
        X