Where to source decoction pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to source decoction pump

I'm in the process of having a decoction capable 10bbl brewhouse fabricated(Chinese). They recommended a standard centrifugal, but my experience tells me there is no way a centrifugal is going to transfer the full mash from mashtun to lauter/BK.
    I've started looking into flexible impeller pumps, but I haven't come across one that's rated for high temps. I am accounting for the decoction temp more than anything +-205*f. I really like the compact design and pricetag, but so far 3 suppliers have recommended against using one for mash.
    I've considered positive displacement (screw pumps), my fabricator has access to them, it just seems like a lot more pump than what I need.
    Rotary lobe pumps are too expensive.
    I really like helicolidal impeller pumps, but I havent come across a pricetag on one yet.

What is the standard issue decoction pump type? Where are brewers sourcing them? Trying to keep this project under (ideally well under) 3k.

We use a centrifual pump to transfer our mash from the mash kettle to the lauter tun.
    If it is properly sized and you run it at low enough speed there should be very few problems.

A positive displacement pump would be better, but that adds more complexity.

Flexible impeller pumps tends to have their pump wheels broken pretty fast when pumping mash.

Comment

Centrifugal can have many different style impellers, I sure some work great, pancake impellers would not. I would think a stainless high heat diaphragm pump would be a really good choice but I have never used one for this purpose, if sized correctly. Joel
      Joel Halbleib
      Partner / Zymurgist
      Hive and Barrel Meadery
      6302 Old La Grange Rd
      Crestwood, KY
      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I really want one of these, but haven't been able to source one yet.

INOXPA is a global leader in the manufacture and sale of stainless steel fluid handling components and equipment, management of processes and services

Our fabricator has access to positive displacement pumps (screw pump) I will likely breakdown and use one. Are they difficult to prime? My fabricator warns they are difficult to start.

The centrifugals supplied by our fabricator are 'pancake' impellers, they look to be of decent grade, but practically blenders when it comes to sending grain through them, but of a higher grade than my previous brewhouse for sure.
        I'm getting 2" drains in all my kettles, maybe I just underestimate quality centrifugals in general, my previous ones (http://www.gwkent.com/thomsen-6-sani...-with-vfd.html) left much to be desired.

Comment

We transfer mash with centrifugal pumps, like an Ampco, that have an open curved impeller, with no problems. The seals don't last a long time, but that is the only problem. I think if we had a water flush on the seal it would probably last longer.
          Linus Hall
          Yazoo Brewing
          Nashville, TN
          www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

To echo what Linus wrote, a washed seal is essential for mash or wort transfer. Our C114 went from a seal failure cycle of months to one of years by simply adding a cold-water wash to the external seal.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by lhall View Post
              We transfer mash with centrifugal pumps, like an Ampco, that have an open curved impeller, with no problems. The seals don't last a long time, but that is the only problem. I think if we had a water flush on the seal it would probably last longer.
              Can you elaborate or share links with more info? Definitely something I'd like to look into. I often find I over engineer when doing generic google searches.

Comment

I am curious too.

Comment

"F" Seal

The simple "F" seal option on a "C" series pump should do the trick.

Your CPE Systems Team!
                  CPE Systems Inc.
                  800-668-2268
                  CPEsystems.com
                  Thinkpumps.com
                  sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Working...
                  X