All of the Tax Payment Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of the Tax Payment Questions

Because the TTB doesn't answer their phone or return my calls, I thought maybe you kind folks could help me out. I obtained my license in early November and starting now in December I'll be selling my first beer (nano, self-distribution, no on-premises).

1. Do I "owe" the TTB any "empty" statements for November, prior to production?

2. 5130.9 is due quarterly for sub 10k barrels, so due by January 15 for 4th quarter 2016? And this would only be AFTER filing my first monthly? Say, for November 2016? Is this done by paper only, via mail?

3. 5130.26 - is this in addition to 5130.9? I'm not a brewpub, just direct distribution, but how do I know whether I owe them this or not? Paper/mail?

4. 5000.24 - This is submitted every two weeks, correct? Paper copy via mail? Or can all of this ALL be done via pay.gov?

5. Pay.gov. I signed up, got an account, but couldn't search for 5000.24, so I called and they said the TTB has to set up my account so that I can pay beer taxes, I couldn't do so on my own. Is this correct?

6. Records. Can I use any system of doing this? Such as a notebook with volume, O.G., F.G., kegging, destroyed beer, and whatever "beer concentrate" is?

7. For the love of God, tell me what else I'm missing.
    ~~~

Funhouse Brews, Portland, Oregon

Ok fellas, TTB got back to me. I can help if anybody else is curious:

This is for smaller breweries, sub-10K bbl/year.

Form 5130.26, turned in quarterly, to the Cincinnati TTB address.

Form 5000.24, you must qualify and be in the system as quarterly, or you are semi-monthly. Use serial number field as YEAR-#, so 2016-4 for 4th quarter 2016, in my case 2016-1, because it is my FIRST payment of the year. These are due by the 13th-14th after quarter end: https://www.ttb.gov/tax_audit/fed_ex_tax_due.shtml

Pay.gov must be set up by TTB personally for brewery payments. You must pay 48 hours prior to deadline, or postmark on the day of the deadline.

5000.24 will switch to annual in 2017 for qualifying breweries. Here is help on that form:

The $1,000 bond will not be required for qualifying breweries:

Hope that helps.
    ~~~

Funhouse Brews, Portland, Oregon

Comment

Thanks for the info.
      Cheers,

Colin Cummings
      Amarillo, TX

Comment

Originally posted by jrizos View Post
        Because the TTB doesn't answer their phone or return my calls, I thought maybe you kind folks could help me out. I obtained my license in early November and starting now in December I'll be selling my first beer (nano, self-distribution, no on-premises).

1. Do I "owe" the TTB any "empty" statements for November, prior to production?
        Ok, so similar situation. Do you owe the TTB any empty statements? Did you get an answer to this? I got TTB approval after 6 weeks, not sure how, but not quite ready to brew yet, do I need to start sending in empty zero sum statements?

Comment

Originally posted by wwwp View Post
          Ok, so similar situation. Do you owe the TTB any empty statements? Did you get an answer to this? I got TTB approval after 6 weeks, not sure how, but not quite ready to brew yet, do I need to start sending in empty zero sum statements?
          Yes. Send them a zero statement. But seriously 6 weeks since filling and you got your notice? Did the President call down there on your behalf?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by foestauf View Post
            Yes. Send them a zero statement. But seriously 6 weeks since filling and you got your notice? Did the President call down there on your behalf?

Yah, no idea, just got lucky, simple application maybe?

Ok, so couple more question.

So on the Brewery Operations form, the first month I need to fill out 5130.9, and in the remarks state I will be filing quarterly going forward right? Then the following quarter use form 5130.26 right?

On the Excise Tax form, 5000.24, do you need to do a semi-monthly initial form, then again state you'll be changing to quarterly or annual going forward?

Can both of these be submitted through Pay.gov? Also, in the approval email it said I was automatically signed up for Pay.gov, was I supposed to receive an email with login info?

Thank you!

Comment

If you figure out how to submit through pay.gov please provide that information? I tried to figure it out and was not successful. The paper version is really easy but I like doing things electronically vs searching for the stamps I haven't used in forever.

Comment

Pay.gov user agreement

Originally posted by foestauf View Post
                If you figure out how to submit through pay.gov please provide that information? I tried to figure it out and was not successful. The paper version is really easy but I like doing things electronically vs searching for the stamps I haven't used in forever.

If you are a signing authority or a power of attorney for your brewer's notice, you are eligible to sign up to file returns and BROP's through pay.gov. Again, you first need to make sure you either have signing authority or POA approved for the brewer's notice. Then, you need to fill out the Pay.gov User's Agreement and mail the original to TTB in Cincinnati (the address is on page 4 of the form).

I believe if you were the signing authority for a new brewer's notice application they automatically sign you up for a Pay.gov account. I believe it takes a week or so after approval of your brewer's notice for them to send you info for setting up your account.

Dan Christopherson, Beer Lawyer
                Christopherson Brew Law
                6638 W. Ottawa Ave, Suite 220-3, Littleton, CO 80128
                720-515-8773 (phone) | dan@brew.law | www.brew.law
                Last edited by Brew Law; 12-02-2018, 11:02 AM.
                Dan Christopherson
                Christopherson Brew Law
                Littleton, CO 80128
                (720) 515-8773
                dan@brew.law
                brew.law

Comment

Hey, I'm about to start kicking the brewery business. Actually not me will be the guy who rules, it'll be a friend of mine. Yet, as partners, I'm aware of our lack of experience in all these things with taxes when you're in a private field. And no one of our relatives who has been dealing with such a thing, I'm not even talking about brewery exactly. I know for personal purposes all the taxes can be done and sent here w9.pdffiller.com but yet some forms there are different to the ones provided by the IRS, so it might well give some more headache instead

Comment

Working...
                  X