Filter Reccommendations - Bottling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter Reccommendations - Bottling

We currently use a dosing DE filter on our beers as they go into the BBT. I was thinking of adding a small plate&frame sheet filter between the BBT and the bottling line (Meheen 6head) for our package beer to get a better filtration/longer package life. I have no experience with Plate & Frame filtration..

Question...

1. Would you use the head-pressure on the BBT to push the beer through the filter in line with the bottler or I noticed some Plate & Frame sheet filters have pumps would this give me a consistent pressure to the bottling line?

Any help or product recommendations would be appreciated,

Max
    Lewis & Clark Brewing

Sterile filtration

Hi Max, I would think about putting the plate and frame filter in-line after the DE filter, before the Brite tank. That way you don't have to worry about it clogging during a bottle run. Unless you have a dedicated bottling tank you can DE filter into your brite, and then sheet filter just what you need to bottle to the bottling tank. Using a tighter grade of DE like 577 will help take the load off the sheets, and use at least an EK, 1 or S sheet for sterile filtration. Good Luck!
    Paul Thomas
    Brewer
    Sockeye Brewing
    www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

You could also use a small lenticular filter. They are easy to use and you can regenerate the cartridges. Most suppliers of filtration equipment (ABEC, Cuno, Millapore) sell them. They are completely enclosed so it might work better than setting up a plate and frame and tossing the pads after each use.

Comment

Location plate & frame

Definitely put the frame filter after the DE and before the BBT.
        You have to keep flow and pressure towards your filler.

BelgianBrewer
        Last edited by BelgianBrewer; 04-05-2008, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Specially true with a Meheen

Originally posted by pbutlert
          Hi Max, I would think about putting the plate and frame filter in-line after the DE filter, before the Brite tank. That way you don't have to worry about it clogging during a bottle run. Unless you have a dedicated bottling tank you can DE filter into your brite, and then sheet filter just what you need to bottle to the bottling tank. Using a tighter grade of DE like 577 will help take the load off the sheets, and use at least an EK, 1 or S sheet for sterile filtration. Good Luck!
          Since Meheen's don't have a bowl, they are very suseptible to pressure variance. Place your sheet filter between your DE filter and the BBT.
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
          X