Increased hopping rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increased hopping rate

Our new brewery has a 20 bbl capacity, double that of the old one. I'm getting conflicting info on increasing the hopping rate from the old 10 bbl plant to the new 20 bbl. Some sources say both aroma and bittering should be doubled while others say that the aroma should be doubled while the bittering should be increased by two thirds and a whole lot of suggestions in between. Any thoughts on this would be most gratefully received.

Since you have a new system, you'll have to play around and see what your hop yield will be with the new one. I would double the recipe and then get the IBUs checked. Your yield could be better with your new brewery or worse, depending upon mashing and lautering equipment/techniques, the intensity of the boil, length of the whirlpool rest, etc. Regarding aroma hops, I think that should be dependent upon where they were added last time (kettle, whirlpool) and how long they're in there. That should probably just be be doubled too, if the contact time and vessel remain the same. Congratulations on needing to double your brewery size!

Comment

Working...
    X