• Show
Clear All

• Coconut Porter

Hi All:

I need some advise on a "Toasted Coconut Porter". I'm going to
    make a test batch (~ 5 gallon).
    Now, my question for those who did one in the past:
    What's the best way of opening the coconut; how much coconut
    for 5 gallons; how to toast the coconut; at what stage in the process should
    I add the toasted coconut????
    Anything I forgot???

Thanks very much for your help

Fred

Fred:

I had the chance to attend the Kona Beer Fest this past March and they had a coconut porter they served at the brewer's party on Friday night. I do not recall if this was made by Kona Brewing or one of the brewpubs on the islands. You might contact someone at Kona Brewing and inquire.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Dr Malt

Comment

Eeek. I'd be concerned about coconut oils destroying the head, ergo, I'd opt for a coconut extract in the serving tank/secondary. My 0.02¢.

Oh, wait! 5 gallons? Hell with it -- split the coconut, scrape the goodness out with a paring knife, shred in a food processor. Squeeze out/cheesecloth the liquid. Take shreds, arrange in thin layer on cookie sheet, bake at 300F for 15 minutes, or until edges just start browning. Add 3-5 oz of shreds in last 2 minutes of boil. After ferment, "dry coconut" with balance.
      "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Hello all,

Perhaps it was Maui Brewing Co.? They make a pretty good coconut porter. Good enough to medal at the GABF anyway!

Didn't ask how they did it. Just enjoyed it.
        You might try contacting Garrett Marrero or Tomas Kerns (if I remember correctly) of Maui BC for specifics.

Cheers,
        Ron
        Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Maui...not Kona

Aloha,

Yep, we make the CoCoNut PorTeR...or should I say the Gold Medal, World Beer Cup CoCoNuT PorTeR...

No extracts here, just the real deal.

Cheers and Beers!

-G-

Comment

Coconut Brew

I brew a Toasted Coconut Brown Ale at The Covey. Due to the delicacy of the flavor of coconut, you have to use quite a bit. I use unsulfured, unsweetened coconut flakes from a specialty foods store near me. I toast half of it, and leave the other half raw (heat destroys the oils). I've used between 2-3 pounds per bbl, in nylon bags, adding just as dry hops during the VDK rest, and allowing contact for a couple weeks. You must weigh down the bags, as the coconut is much more bouyant than hops. I've found that once you turn on your jackets, the convections mix the oils and the flavor really comes through. By the last bbl of this beer out of the serving tank, the coconut is always very faint, don't know why...

I would really consider using pre-flaked b/c cracking, peeling and shaving dozens of coconuts is close to torture!

Let me know how your Coc. Porter turns out.

Jamie Fulton
            The Covey Restaurant & Brewery
            Fort Worth, TX

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

I also produce a coconut porter about twice per year. I split off a few bbls of the house porter into a small serving vessel. I then purchase unsweetened shredded coconuts (Bob's Red Mill to be exact) and toast in the oven at about 350-375 until golden. Then I add to the server inside large mesh bags with a weight to keep them under the beer. Then I wait and sample until I like where the balance is and keg off. Takes about a week. I just did some last week, started with 2bbls of porter and added about 10-12#. I can always add more if needed or blend down if too strong. For an extra bonus, I serve it on nitro. Nitro Coconut Porter (NCP) is my most requested specialty beer. To keep it special, it makes very limited appearances.

Best of luck...
              -Beaux

Comment

Spoilage

Have you had any spoilage by not toasting all of the shredded coconut?

Comment

Spoilage....

No I haven't had any spoilage problems. The first time I brewed this beer, I put the "raw" portion in the oven for a couple minutes to have a sort of pasteurizing effect on the coconut, not long enough to brown it though. Now, I just put it in straight out of the bag. Keep my fingers crossed, but I figure if I dump raw hops in for dry hopping, why not processed coconut flakes?? GL,

Jamie

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

I have also tried mixing in some raw coconut in previous batches and had no spoilage issues. Maybe lucky or just counting on the fact that it will be consumed very quickly and not be around long enough to find out otherwise.
                    -Beaux

Comment

Working...
                    X