Fermentis T58 and S33

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermentis T58 and S33

Does anybody have any experience with fermentis safbrew T-58, S-33 and K-97 yeast strains?

What styles have you brewed with them? How did they come out? And how attenuative were they?

I have used safale US-56 and S-04 with great results, just wondering what my possibilities could be with these other yeasts from fermentis.

Thanks,
    Stulli

good stuff

I have used t-58 as secondary yeast for both bottle conditioning and cask conditioning. great sedimentation properties. have not used as a the primary yeast however.
    We use the s-33 for our wassail (17.5 P) attenuation is great and reached final in 4 days. dont really get the phenols or esters that is promised for an abbey style, but with the mixture of herbs, spices and malts, it is very pleasant.
    cheers
    Nick
    Nicholas Campbell

Comment

fermentis

t-58 will pass for a belgian ale yeast or even a hefeweizen with banana and clove notes. from pilots with s-33, i don't think this yeast is remotely belgian. i think it may be a version of edme. no experience with k-97.

Comment

We just used T-58 for the second time on our witbier. Both times, about 3-4 days into fermentation we start picking up very strong sulphur aroma. Other than sulphur the ferment proceeds as normal - no off flavors. The first time we used it, it took about 8 weeks for the sulphur to fade. More particulars - first time was an 11 P beer, second time 14.5 P. First time w/o oxygenating wort, second time with. Both times using 55% wheat malt (Wyermann), 42% pils & 3% acid. Any ideas where the sulphur is coming from and suggestions for keeping it out of my witbier next time?

Thanks

David

Comment

Safbrew S-33

Anybody have any recent experiences good or bad with this yeast ?
          I'm looking for a belgian style yeast and this yeast came up in conversation but nobody I know has used it.

Thoughts ?

Cheers

Tariq
          Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
          Vancouver, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

S-33

I've used it in some experimental side fermentations and found it gives a hint of ester profile to the beers that is much like some of the qualities you'd find in a "Belgian" IPA. It's very subtle, though, and therefore I found it very pleasant. We've "stolen" wort from a single bock and a dunkel and got similar results (fuller flavor, subtle esters, but not overpoweringly Belgian).

Fermentations seemed to stop at around 3.5 to 4 Plato, whereas these beers would normally go to about 1.5 to 2 Plato. I'd suggest doing the same as what I did, take a 5 gallon sample of one of your hopped worts and ferment it with a small packet of S-33 and see for yourself what occurs (you can connect a 1/2" hose to your tee at the base of the FV and draw off some oxygenated wort into a carboy, then replace your drain hose to be ready for the end of the knockout).

Comment

Fermentis

Not a fan of T-58. It does ferment fast but the flavor profile is not to my liking. My 2 cents.

Geoff

Comment

T58

Brewed with this yeast quite a lot, in previous years, mostly copper bitters and dark beers. Has good attenuation but i found sedimentation poor, so have stopped using it for most brews. Does give a spicy peppery flavour to copper bitters and is kind to hops bringing out some wonderful flavours. now using S-04 and US-05 for most beers.
                Will also suffer high gravity worts better than most yeast

Comment

Fyi

Just to clarify here, this is a very old thread that has recently been revived by someone asking about S-33. Nobody has asked about T-58 since 2006. Interesting info, nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                  X