Replacing a sankey locking ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a sankey locking ring

Are there any online tutorial or video for replacing a locking ring?

There are many. Just use "sankey spear removal" as your search term in Utube. Be careful to depressurize the keg before attempting, lest you want almost certain injury or a hole in your ceiling.
    Here's one you can watch that makes it very simple.
    A quick demonstration of how to remove and reasemble the snap ring and "spear" from a Sanke keg. Make sure you release all the presure from the keg first! ...

Comment

Originally posted by ericksonaz View Post
      Be careful to depressurize the keg before attempting, lest you want almost certain injury or a hole in your ceiling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZPfZ_AL380
      If you're using the right tool, attempting to remove the spear from a pressurized keg will result in a "beer shower".

Don't over-crank the press tool when removing the lock-ring. You can bend the lips of the valve body ever so slightly inwards, and then you'll never get another lock ring in the now tighter slot. Been there, done that--another keg for the scrap pile.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
        If you're using the right tool, attempting to remove the spear from a pressurized keg will result in a "beer shower".

Don't over-crank the press tool when removing the lock-ring. You can bend the lips of the valve body ever so slightly inwards, and then you'll never get another lock ring in the now tighter slot. Been there, done that--another keg for the scrap pile.
        Yes, use the right tool for the job. Like this one (there are many suppliers of these):
        This beer keg valve removal press tool is very useful for removing North American, D-System Micro Matic keg valves. Made of solid stainless steel.

I made my own out of a Harbor Freight bearing puller, and a brass "soft center" which is basically just a piece of round soft metal rod with a conical depression on one end, and a cone on the other (which I ground off). The clamp presses down on the valve slightly, releasing the pressure in the keg (the beer shower, which if it's an old keg, is really icky) as well as the pressure on the lock ring. I made the base part of the tool out of a block of HDPE. It prevents you from overpressing the valve (the base flexes), and was easy to cut to shape. I was mostly concerned with damaging the soft rubber face of the valve seal.

Some spears (like the thread-in ones) have an internal catch that prevents it from coming out, so you need a thin screwdriver to release it.

Regards,
        Mike Sharp

Comment

To prevent the "beer shower" problem (and, yep, it's disgusting with old, oxidized beer), I attached a Sanke coupler to our air supply and put a hose w/weight on the beer line. Put the coupler on, turn on the air with the weighted end of the beer line in a drain, and there goes the problem. Shut the air off before removing the coupler, and the keg is depressurized.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

The SABCO tool is worth every penny. Get several extra knives though as you will break the tip off of the first one until you get the hang of it.

SABCO is one of those brewery support companies that truly deserves a gold star and a silent cheers of thanks from anyone that has been in this industry for a long while. Thanks SABCO.
            Todd G Hicks
            BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Working...
            X