Currants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currants?

In the process of infusing some currants into a beer. Few questions for those who might have some info on usage.

Black or red currants?
    Usage, pounds per gallon/bbl?
    Time/temp in contact?
    Currants whole,pureed?

Any help from those in the know would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Real Currants

There is much confussion about what are real currants. Those little raisiny things that are mistakenly called currants are, in fact, not. They are dried grapes. Real currants grow on bushes and are tart, delicious, healthy and unknown in the U.S. because they were illegal to grow for 100 years. For the full story of why they were illegal and why those imposters are called currants, go to www.currants.com

Real black currants make the most amazing currant beer. Many beer afficianados are just beginning to discover this. For the only source of real Currants (black and red) in the U.S. call 1-800-Currants or order on line at www. Currants.com

Prost!

Greg Quinn
    President
    Ther Currant Company

Comment

These very nice folks grow real black currants on a large scale in Vermont... they sell in various forms (puree, etc.).

Cherry Hill Farm
      802-885-5088

good luck!

Comment

Thank for the info on sources...but... what I really need is what I asked for in the way of usage, pounds per gallon/bbl? Time in contact with the beer, temperature the contact happens at. Currants whole or pureed??? This info is what I really need, anyone out there who can help?

Anyone? Bueller?
        Cheers,
        Mike Roy
        Brewmaster
        5123 Baltimore Ave
        Hyattsville,MD 20781
        301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
        @franklinsbrwry

Comment

hey mike -

it is obvious that you are thinking of adding this fruit during some point of the hotside - but why don't you consider adding them into the conditioning post-fermentation? just like anything else - i suppose you could start out with a pound per BBL and keep adding to taste in the conditioning tank...? perhaps you could add some directly into the primary and allow it to ferment out a bit... it all depends on how much flavor/accent you were looking for! perhaps contact gerhart or selders at dogfish [au currant] and ask them for some input...
          lead the way, mike.
          good luck...
          shaun e.

Comment

Actually Shaun I have no intention of adding into hot wort. My apologies for not being clear on that. I'm adding it post primary fermentation, the question about time and temperature was questioning what temperature they should be infused at and for how long they should be allowed to be in contact with the beer.

So does anyone have any info on currants?
            Cheers,
            Mike Roy
            Brewmaster
            5123 Baltimore Ave
            Hyattsville,MD 20781
            301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
            @franklinsbrwry

Comment

Red Currs

I just purchased a pound at the local Whole Foods store fresh. I tasted a few and froze the rest I am planning to add them to the secondary right before kegging for a 5-10 gallon batch. I am thinking of a slightly sweet beer the red currants were pretty bitter. I am no expert on how much to use but I would try pureed in the BBT. Good luck ...
              Joel Halbleib
              Partner / Zymurgist
              Hive and Barrel Meadery
              6302 Old La Grange Rd
              Crestwood, KY
              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
              X