Brewpub/restuarant school project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewpub/restuarant school project

Hi all. I'm taking an intro business class at Portland State and I'm involved in a group project in which we come up with a theoretical business and/or product. We came up with a brewpub/sm. resturant. From this idea we are to create a business plan, an organizational chart and PERT chart. We're doing okay but as with any business, there is a language that I'm not familiar with. What exactly is a bbl? It seems like a unit of measurement but what does it stand for?
    Also, I'm having some trouble figuring out the tax issue as well as salaries. From the threads I've read it seems that $35K seems suitable for a brewmaster. But what about brew assistants? For our model , we've settled on one F/T brewmaster and one assistant. Would that be remotely workable? And is min. wage insulting to offer for an assistant? Are there any payroll templates /generators out there? And what sort of benefits did any of you receive (or currently receive) from your employers? I would any and all input.

I must take my hat off to you guys. I had no idea how hard you work. I'm just usually on the other end enjoying the finished product of a love's labor. To any Portland brewers, I thank you for your talent and love. To everyone elsewhere, I thank you for you time.

Cheers, NewtoBrew
    Last edited by newtobrew; 01-27-2007, 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Originally posted by newtobrew
    Hi all. I'm taking an intro business class at Portland State
    What exactly is a bbl?
    it seems that $35K seems suitable for a brewmaster.
    one F/T brewmaster and one assistant. Would that be remotely workable? And is min. wage insulting to offer for an assistant?
    Are there any payroll templates /generators out there?
    And what sort of benefits did any of you receive (or currently receive) from your employers?
    Cheers, NewtoBrew
    A bbl is a Barrel of beer this is equal to 31 gallons in the USA. 2, 1/2bbl kegs.

$30-40K in a brewpub depending on experience and workload

One full-time Brewmaster is always needed in any brewpub worth running. Assistants are needed depending on production size. I would add a assistant if brewing more than 2-3 batches a week or more than one batch a day, or if there is any distribution.

Minimum wage is insulting to anyone!! 8-10$ hr depending on experience. And all wages are regionaly adjusted of course.

er??

Free Lunch and Beer!! Medical and often 401-k and bonus/ profit share.
    (possibly a blind eye when dating hot bartenders)
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

Yeah, batch size is usually referred to in barrels (bbls). Typical brewpub systems are from 4-15 bbls, with 7 and 10 being most common. To give you a handle on just how much beer that is, a keg is 1/2 bbl. So if you can sell 20 kegs of beer a week, you need at least a 10 bbl brewhouse (and enough fermenters and serving tanks to keep from running out!). A batch of basic ale will be ready to drink in roughly ten days to two weeks from brewday.

The larger the system, the fewer man-hours it takes to make beer.

I've brewed for four different brewpubs, and at none of them needed an assistant brewer (although it's a nice thing to have someone who can cover for vacations and days off!).

Like Ted said, if you scale the brewhouse so that 2, 3 or even 4 batches a week covers your sales, one guy can easily handle it all.

Cheers, Tim
      Last edited by tarmadilo; 01-29-2007, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X