X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front or Back bar dispense?

So, what's your favourite?

Pro's and Con's

I like the clean bar, no taps etc. But, I hate turning my back to the customer.

I see no need for taps on the bar, but people in europe come to expect beer from labled pumps on the bar.

So....?
    Founder of London Brewers' Alliance | European Craft Sales Manager for SimplyHops.com | BrewWharf 2009/11 | Writes CAMRA's Homebrew Column | Opened Breakwater Brew Co | Get me @phillowry

Back Bar

Hi Phil

I seem to like pubs with the taps at the back so that the server is in eye contact. It makes me feel more comfortable when there is nothing between the server and myself. I grew-up on the west coast (USA)and my favorite pubs had at least thirty to fifty taps, most of them were at the back. A spot light system that lit just the taps would be nice also.

Graydon

Comment

Hi Phil,
      Ooooh, a favorite subject of mine, for which I have an opinion (I'm a brewer so that's like redundant). Graydon's point about eye contact is so important as far as I'm concerned. If you don't put the faucets on the bar, (and the POS /register also for that matter) the bartenders will be turning their backs on your customers all the time. The brewpub I'm at has taps on the bar but they are tall and awkward to work around. I don't think our bartenders will get any awards for friendliness but I think it would be even worse perception of bartender "attitude" if we had the taps on wall behind bar. Have you thought of a low mounted "Irish Coffinbox" style at the bar? Even with typical tap handles installed, a bartender could easily have unfettered eye contact and access to bar for serving. Good luck! BC
      Last edited by bcofresi; 01-29-2007, 11:21 PM. Reason: grammer/clarity
      Brian Cofresi
      Brewmaster,

Comment

Thanks Guys.

That coffin box idea is a good one.

I like to have a large chalk board, listing prices for different volumes of beer, .5pt, Pint, etc.

The server body language is always one that'll bug me. I have spent years behind the bar, and really good bar service is really important to me.

So, descreet fonts/taps are the answer?

You see I like to see what is being dispensed... I've had too many indifferent pints and pours recently to put my mind at ease.

It's more about server technique than the location of the pumps?
        Founder of London Brewers' Alliance | European Craft Sales Manager for SimplyHops.com | BrewWharf 2009/11 | Writes CAMRA's Homebrew Column | Opened Breakwater Brew Co | Get me @phillowry

Comment

We decided to put the taps on the bar, but down at the end. We are standing in front of the customer when he places his order, and just have to move down a few steps to pour it. The customer can see the beer being poured, we don't turn our backs on them, and when they are placing the order there is nothing but the bar between us. Seems to work pretty well, especially when filling growlers.
          Linus Hall
          Yazoo Brewing
          Nashville, TN
          www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Taps

We like to have the taps on the back bar to display the handles. The most important thing is service. So to have a clean bar where the staff can reach over and present the food and beer is essential.
            Kai Adams
            Sebago Brewing Company
            www.sebagobrewing.com

Comment

How about this...

I love it!

the radio maria restaurant... Way cool, and v. practical!

Comment

Pretty sweet set-up.
                Cheers & I'm out!
                David R. Pierce
                NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                POB 343
                New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

We recently opened a large beer bar with 20 taps in Australia and researched this very issue considerably. We are a bar that encourages customers to sit at the bar and converse with staff. With the different heights of staff members, we simply couldn't come up with a height for taps on the front bar which worked perfectly and didn't create a barrier effect.

We ultimately decided to put the taps at the back but train our staff to pour the beers in a way the customer can see the pour (if they're that way inclined) by angling their bodies (the staff member, not the customer!). Trust me, this is not a problem! We also have a mirrored splash back to help them see. We then easily serve the beer directly in front of the customer on the front bar.

It does involve a compromise but it has worked really, really well for us and opens the bar up completely, allowing staff and customers to engage better.

PS. we have the POS system on the front bar.
                  Last edited by oztapguy; 08-21-2007, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I like the taps on the bar, but several small towers not one giant one. If you must put the taps behind the bartender I suggest a large mirror. The reason old bars have large mirrors is so the bartender can keep an eye on things while he/she has their back turned to the paytrons in order to pour their drink.
                    Joel Halbleib
                    Partner / Zymurgist
                    Hive and Barrel Meadery
                    6302 Old La Grange Rd
                    Crestwood, KY
                    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by Phil
                      How about this...

I love it!

the radio maria restaurant... Way cool, and v. practical!
                      That's actually off of my flickr page, if anyone is interested in getting in touch with the guy who built that patented draft system feel free to PM me.

Comment

Working...
                      X