Brewery Website Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewery Website Costs

We are looking to put our brewpub on the internet with our own website. I am looking for ballpark help on monthy cost and/or annual fees and setup cost. We have an employee that is majoring in this field but we don't have any idea on how much to pay for their services. We also need to know this info ahead of time so when they move on we will not be way off on real world prices.

Our website will have pics, menu, business story/history, brewers blog, and merchandise purchasing capabilities.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
    Travis
    Brewer
    Montana Brewing Co

Website costs

I have a website that that doesn't need too much space on a server and I pay ca. 250$ / year . Registration cost ca. 100$.
    I had somebody ( friend of mine ) set the site up for about 1000$. Its a nice job but by no means high tech with all gimmicks. (www.bierfactory.ch)
    Keeping it simple allows me to service it myself about 1 -2 hours a week. Its not difficult and anybody with a little computer knowledge can do it.

My facit is - it doesn't cost that much and brings in a whole lot more than it costs.

Hope to have been helpful.
    Steve

Comment

I have two wedsites that cost me a total of $20/month. At first I maintained them myself but later by brother in law decided to give it a shot and I think its worked out really well so far. I use homestead.com to host my site

K

Comment

The above costs are pretty much inline with what we pay. But I maintain our site so that cost is just rolled into my paycheck. I STRONGLY recommend for the owner(s) to learn HTML (it really is not that hard!) and some basic graphic design so you can do your own website. For me, our website and labels provide a welcomed creative outlet. Luck to ya'.
        Prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

It's the ordering system that may cost something. My hotel website (www.bonairegreatescape.com) costs me a whopping $4.95/month. My daughter designed it, and we share maintenance chores. I subscribe to a service that handles the reservation system, and it costs me about $100/month.

If just want to get an e-mail that tells you someone wants to buy something, that's pretty simple. If you want something like Amazon, where people can buy quantities of something, pay for it, get notified of when/where it will be delivered, etc., you are talking something more complicated. Search for "shopping cart software", get a reference, and get support.

Comment

Believe me, it 'aint difficult.

If I can do it... anyone can... jeeze if you can brew....

The question you have to ask yourself is -

DO I have time... to learn, to update, to maintain....

You can go to a webhost co. and buy a basic hosting package, a .com and you're away - often they have a free template package going as well.

When you do buy, makesure that you put up a holding page, with contact info, map link, etc. REgister it with google, yahoo et al - and robert's your mothers brother!

for file transfer use - internet explorer -
            You can do basic webdesign with many many different packages. (Don't use word!)

Try contribute from Macromedia for a real basic thing.

I've used photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, etc etc... they all can produce a decent job - in the right hands. The thing is - the time - it took me two and a half years to really get to a stage with my web stuff to really get a grip - and even now I have a dumb error message on the site that I can't seem to shift.

If you want to go more advanced - look in to Content Management Systems - wikipedia has loads on it. Like Mambo/Joomla etc which are free, or up many levels spending more dollar.
            These - joomla/mambo - are modular - with time and effort you can easily make quite efficient websites (you'll need php/mysql enabled - but not apache! - free advice there) You'll be able to put in shops, gallery, links, forums, catalogues, blah di blah....

Websites are like brewing in many respects - they are on the outside very easy to buy, play with etc - but when you come to rely on them - that's when knowledge is really valuable.

Maintain - maintain - maintain -
            Founder of London Brewers' Alliance | European Craft Sales Manager for SimplyHops.com | BrewWharf 2009/11 | Writes CAMRA's Homebrew Column | Opened Breakwater Brew Co | Get me @phillowry

Comment

Blogsites vs. websites

I recommend you also look into a blogsite. Even easier to set up than websites and for your size ops - free! There are several walk-you through sites. I use blogger.com but there are others.

Keep the site up to date and as you learn a bit of website code management you can manipulate the sites to your hearts' content. There are several useful books on blogsites that will help -but you can set one up in 10 minutes by following the recipe directions. They are a more interactive type of format and you need to learn how to converse with your customers on such a site. BUT- they should be considered. Set up the website later and then link the two. Check a few blogsites out and see what you think. You can get free code to place that gives site statistics but they do provide post options for your readers to make comments which you should encourage. You can edit any unwanted comments but a bit of negative feedback is to be encouraged to put you on track.

I'd offer some contests and merchandise on the site and you can if you really want to allow Google etc to place some click though RELATED ads to generate some revenue.

Gary.

Comment

Outsource it.

My advice is hire a pro and have them do it. I have done it for my company for a couple years now, and I agree with everyone that it is very easy to do, however, if you really want to use your site to make an impression there is nothing like all the gizmo's and doodads to make it look nice. There are a billion websites out there and you really want yours to stand out and that's what the pros are good at.

Here's our site, its not much but it gets the job done. We use the site to give potential buyers a first look at our properties that are on the market. Again, I did the design, we didn't hire anyone to do that site mainly because it is an extra cost...so that is something you always have to consider. But if I had my choice I would hire someone.

Comment

Working...
                X